Chapter Fifty : happily ever after

Parker

"Okay Nora make a wish!" Kayla exclaimed and Nora closed her eyes tightly before blowing out her candles.

"What did you wish for?" Malcolm asked, smiling at his little sister.

"Can I tell two people this year instead of one mommy?" Nora looked at her mom and she nodded.

In the Porter's house it was tradition to tell at least one person of your wish and Nora usually told Paige, I think she told me hers once or twice throughout the years.

She whispered in Paige's ear and I was how pale Paige went before looking at me.

"Parker, your turn!" Nora smiled and motioned for me to go over to her before she whispered, "my wish was that you and Paige would never break each other's hearts," she pulled away and part of me was expecting her to say something like she wants a pony or a doll but this was something else. She wasn't wishing for her happiness but Paige and I's. I couldn't bring it to tell her we were broken up, per Paige's request but at the same time she really was never mine.

I got now why Paige looked as if she saw a ghost, it's like Nora has a sense for this kind of stuff and what I said this morning probably unsettled her.

"Okay cake time!" their mom exclaimed and Nora clapped her hands, "and then movie time!"

Paige looked at me instantly, "Parker is really busy tomorrow so after cake he needs to head home okay?" Paige looked at Nora and Nora looked at me with those puppy dog eyes Paige had given me once or twice.

I think Paige knew how hard it was to be around her, I was weak when it came to her, like I was the lost puppy all along.

"Come on Parker, just one movie, and then you read me to sleep and then you can go home," she begged and I gave in because it was Nora's day.

I plopped down on the couch and Nora came cuddling in before patting for Paige to sit next to us, Nora was on my lap and Paige looked at Nora before looking at me like I'd be against her sitting there.

"Come on, don't be shy," Nora smiled.

I moved my hand that was across the headrest and sat us straighter than I usually would before Paige sat down. She kept her distance on the couch and I think Nora noticed but said nothing. Tension was in the air and I knew we weren't the only two who didn't feel it.

"Popcorn?" Paige asked ten minutes in the movie and Nora agreed wholeheartedly giving Paige a chance to go.

My phone pinged and I saw Malcolm texted, "what the hell happened? You guys haven't said a single thing to each other since you've been here."

I looked back at Paige who was doing her own thing and Nora who was still munching on her chocolate cake before responding.

"She broke up with me after the Mateo incident today," I texted back.

"Did you do something to make her pissed off?"

"She has feelings for Mateo, and she doesn't want to do what Haylee did to me," I sent it and Malcolm looked up at me and then her before back at me.

"That's fucked up."

"She also told me she loved me right before she did it."

Malcolms mouth was shot open as he muttered, "what the fuck."

"Malcolm," his mom kicked his leg, "language."

"Sorry mom," Malclm looked at me again before texting, "who all knows about the break up?"