Chapter Fifteen : even if the house is burning?

Paige

I sat down on the couch after putting Nora into bed and Malcolm was on the loveseat waiting for me to yell or something. He was expecting an outroar all while getting an explanation for what happened. I didn't know how I was going to interact with him.

"Paige just get it out of your system," he wanted it done and over it.

"Why is it Parker is more reliable then my own brother?" I looked up at him.

"I, you could've called me," he then mentioned.

"I did, Parker answered, I needed you. My brother, not my boyfriend but yet he's more reliable and more caring than you are. What were you doing with Madi huh?" I knew the answer. I just needed him to say it.

"Paige," he began like I was asking too much.

"Don't Paige me like I'm a child, admit to the damn thing. Were you or were you not having sex with Madi?" I looked at him and he shook his head like I was looking at the whole thing wrong.

"Why does it matter?" he looked up at me and I blew up.

"Because I almost got taken today by those men after my shift, if it wasn't for the fact I locked my damn doors I wouldn't be home right now! You left your phone downstairs knowing I was coming home soon, what if I got in a car accident huh? You're so inconsiderate Malcolm, when did you turn into one of the guys? When did you stop being my brother?" I shook my head and he got defensive.

"I was spending time with my girlfriend, I'm not going to fucking wait up for you!" he stood up and his words hurt.

"I should've unlocked the car doors then and begged them to take me," I glared at him and ran upstairs. I sat on my bed with my door locked and stared at my phone waiting for Parker to text me that he made it home, for a fake girlfriend I care a lot. He saw me break down and he didn't make me feel like it was my fault, he didn't make me feel worse.

"Paige," Malcolm knocked on my door and waited before knocking more, "Paige come on can we talk, what I said to you was fucked up downstairs. Open the door please," and there was another long pause and I wondered if he left, "I messed up, I'm sorry can you please open the door so we can talk?"

After a couple more attempts he gave up and went off and I picked up my phone wondering if Parker was okay, it ringed three times before he answered.

"Hey, shit sorry for not texting you. I made it home and I just got distracted with something with my mom. Everything alright over there?" he waited for a response and I held my breath to stop myself from thinking about crying.

"Yeah, yeah everything great. How is your mom?" I then asked like I was now incapable of talking to him like I used to, shit I can't start liking him we just started this whole thing!

"She's good, really good. She kicked out Michael, finally was done with him I guess," he sounded more relieved which made me happy for him.

"That's amazing," I tried to sound happy and I was but I don't think it was coming out the way I wanted it to sound.

"Are you okay?" he asked me and I nodded like he could see me but the tears that fell told a different story.

"I'm okay, I guess I'm just really tired," I lied and Parker didn't believe it for a second but he pretended he did.

"Then you should probably get some sleep, I'll talk to you a little later okay?" he waited for my response and I was struggling to keep the tears under control.