Dreams and Comforts

A new day was just beginning.

You had woke, lazy and tired, grumbling from the unneeded stress of yesterday.

Sun filtered in through the attic window, the gentle beams making you want to stretch like a cat. Birds could be heard outside, chirping merry songs and being unaffected by any intricate thought.

Your mind, however, was still focused on thoughts of your brother. Thoughts of what he had said to you, and what you had said in return.

Rolling over to tune out your own thoughts, you pulled the stitched blankets over your shoulder. Wrestling around in all of the pillows you enjoyed sleeping with.

Laying in your bed made you feel pitiful, but you relaxed there regardless, pondering over your own thoughts.

The nether was a harsh place. Good thing you didn't live there anymore.

Sliding a hand down your sleep addled face, you groaned at the thought that maybe you'd have to overcome your leeriness to it.

For now though, you were craving tea. So with a begrudging huff, you sat up and wormed your way downstairs, trudging around your kitchen to gather ingredients.

Already, you had stoked the coal of your furnace, placing out the kettle and filling it with water.

Your plans for the day consisted of working in the garden, and drinking hot drinks. Incredibly uneventful.

Everything you needed.

Even though you were sleepy, your senses were sharp. The moment a knock sounded across the door, you stirred, heading towards the door, and pulling it open with no hesitation.

There stood Phil.

Philza.

Your friend.

An old friend who you hadn't seen in years.

Of course now of all times he decided to visit.

"Phil." You greeted, raising an eyebrow.

"(Y/N)." He mimicked, holding his arms open wide for a hug, to which you returned in earnest. His wings were broad, and swift to curl in around you, but just as swift to pull away as he glanced around at your house.

"This is nice- you have a good sense of design."

You just smiled at the familiar voice, "Thanks Phil. Come, take a seat- I'm making tea."

He huffed a laugh, "You and your drinks."

"Me and my comfort." You mimicked back, laughing and leading him in to the kitchen, where he carefully took a seat and folded his wings behind his back like a cloak.

"What brings you here?" You ask, pouring him a cup of scalding water, and passing him a bag of different tea types to choose from.

He answered with a simple, "Is it so wrong to see an old friend?"

You couldn't help but smile.

No, there was nothing wrong with it.

So you carried on talking to him, sitting in your kitchen, dunking the tea bag in and out of your cup as it finished.

It felt like you were in a haze. No details being perceived as you relished in his presence.

You took a sip, Phil doing the same, but with a shocking moment of clarity, you noticed none of the tea was actually taken into his mouth, all of it dribbled past his lips.

"Phil- are you okay?"

He said nothing, staring past you, out the kitchen window, tea still falling past his chin even though the tea cup had been set back onto the table.