Spirit Worker

With Techno hibernating upstairs things in the house have been a lot quieter around the cabin.

Doesn't help that Tommy has been cooping himself down in the basement for way longer then normal.

You still see him, but the past few days he's been sparce.

Phil is usually here in the morning, either helping with the fire or helping with taking care of Carl, but then he's out the door again hauling materials around.

Which- even though you've been active, with all other members of the house away, it's been quiet.

And also way busier for yourself.

You took over doing any chores that Techno normally did, atop your normal chores, so you've been on a nonstop path of upkeeping the house, the supplies, and the fire.

A busy bee you were.

A busy lonely bee.

Which is where you were now, currently busying yourself with taking care of Carl.

Phil was helping you get the house warm this morning, and since today you were going over to the local village to see what all you could pick up, you figured you'd take care of Carl and get him all geared up for a ride.

With a bucket of oats in one hand and a hay bale tucked under the other, you were kicking the doors open and making your way to Carl's stable.

It was a clear day today, no clouds and a fresh set of snow layering the floor. No wind either, which made it a lot easier to hold your warmth under the random cloaks you threw on.

Reaching the side of Carl's stall, you set the oats down for a moment, throwing the hay into the trough and evening it out, before picking the oats up and dumping them over top.

"Hey there big guy!" You waved at the big stallion, "Gotcha some breakfast!"

He snorted at you, clopping his way to the trough and giving you an eyeballed look before sticking his head down into the food bin to chow.

He's been getting friendlier. Albeit, he still gives you suspicious looks every now and then, but at the very least he recognizes and doesn't run away from you anymore.

Chuckling, you decide you should actually go into the stable to take care of him and start by giving him a good brushing.

Pulling the cloaks you borrowed from Techno a little farther around your shoulder, you open the stall gate and step in, making sure to latch the gate behind you.

Carl's ear flicked in your direction, but he didn't bother looking, too busy with eating.

You shuffled around, taking Carl's cozy blanket off and hanging it up on the side of the stall door.

The horse usually didn't need too much mantainence, but brushing his thick coat daily was part of the reason it was well maintained, so you unhooked a brush off the wall and got to work, starting at his neck and brushing out any tangled fur clumps.

It was, peaceful.

Silent air, no wind no noise. Just Carl chewing and you brushing.

Carl was warm, and the heat from his neck seaped into your fingers as you smoothed over whatever you brushed.

"Hey!"

Both you and Carl startled at the voice, jumping and staring at the intruder.

Ghostbur.

Good gods. You about had a heart attack. You were so caught up in the schedule that you were kind of zoned out.

Carl jumped around for a moment longer then you, clomping his hooves into the ground with irritation and staring leerily at the spector that was leaned against the open window to Carl's stall.