Chapter 3: The Confession

Alex's POV

Sunday, March 21 – Dawsonville, Georgia

"Hey," he says as he opens the door before me. I take a deep breath, still debating if I was doing the right thing.

"Hey," I reply, accepting the invitation anyway. I could always find something else to say if doubt creeps in at the last minute, right? "Nice place."

"Thanks. When you said you had something to tell me, I figured this was easiest..." I can't deny that he was right in that, as it's always easier to say in person, and a comfortable space – meaning his house.

However, I still debated everything about this.

I thought Ryan would've been over. After all, he had just won the race so I figured the couple would celebrate, share in it together. It seemed like the normal course of action – just as they celebrated Chase's wins together before. That only meant one thing, adding another reason why speaking up was probably right to do.

I also know he didn't have the day he wanted at the track – blown motor at your home track is never the way you want things to go. I felt bad for him. Who wanted to add more pain to that if this was all true?

"I appreciate you hearing me out," I tell him as we get comfortable on the back patio, pair of drinks between us. Just like any guy talk, drinks and a patio were normally the best way to go about it.

"We're friends – that what we do for each other." Sometimes when he says lines like those about friendship, my heart wonders what could be – considering it skips a beat by the sound of that Georgian accent anyway. "So, what is it you want to tell me?"

"First of all, I apologize for not saying anything about this sooner. I should've probably told you right when it happened. However, I kept debating if it was necessary to even say something, and whether it was right to meddle." I know – wrong way to open as you make his mind wander as to what I am about to say, and make his nerves on steel before I even get a chance to tell him why. I get it, most people would apologize at the end. however, just in case he kicks me out or something along those lines, I didn't want him to not know I was sorry.

"Just tell me what it is, Alex." Straight shooter just like always. Why couldn't I just do that so easily? Actually, now I had no choice as the spotlight was on me and here we went, no turning back anymore.

"I went to the Waffle House after Daytona. I overheard Ryan and Isabelle a table over talkin-"

"Did you come over to tell me that you realize Ryan and I are together?" I wish it was just that. I wish I didn't have a bombshell to follow for him. I wish I wasn't about to mess up his entire life with questions about everything – perhaps confirming suspicions that he may have anyway.

"Let's face it, Chase. Most of us in the garage figured there was something along some lines going on with you both. I mean, I don't know if anybody pegged you as being relationship material right now so it's a step up, okay? But that's not why I am here." Again, I know I am doing this wrong by leaving the door so open ended. I should've just dove right in and finished the puzzle.

"So what did you overhear that brings you over today?" A deep breath, and it was now or never - no turning back no matter what. Was I prepared for his response? Absolutely not. But could I leave right now? Absolutely not.

"I know about the contract and how you pay Isabelle – Ryan asked her how much and wanted to ensure she was making enough. However, it goes beyond that. He talked about possibly having feelings, breaking the contract, testing the waters. I don't know what's going on truth or not, but I figured you deserved to know of discussions."