Chapter 107: Pennzoil 400

Sunday, March 6 – Las Vegas Motor Speedway

The Pennzoil 400 started off solidly for the threesome, with each of them making steady headway as they ran inside the top-10 to keep themselves in contention.

Unfortunately, Ryan's bad luck continued, virtue of Brad Keselowski coming spinning across his nose.

"Fucking killed," Ryan immediately says on the radio. "Fucking Brad. Fucking moron. Fuck, it's fucking killed!"

Alex, meanwhile, kept himself at the front of the field throughout the day, with Greg electing to go for the strategy call in just two tires on the final pit stop. The result would be coming off pit road set to the start on the front row alongside their teammate Kyle Larson.

"Either way, we're taking the front row here," Kevin Hamlin tells Alex over the radio. He knew starting anywhere else would not allow them to get the run, and this was all about getting the jump on Kyle. Kyle Larson would choose the top – putting Alex underneath him with Kyle Busch electing to start behind him on four new tires. "18 is in four, he's going to shove the shit out of you. Focus on that 5. Let's go to fucking work here!"

Alex followed the instructions of his spotter, getting the restart of his life as he remained alongside Kyle Larson for the lead as they fanned out behind them. The Hendrick duo pulled away slightly, with neither giving an inch to each other through the two laps. With Alex pinning him down, Kyle would get a little tight in turn three, which was enough to allow the 48 to surge ahead for the victory.

"You damn right, baby!" Kevin shouts on the radio first. "Woohoo hoo hoo!"

"Hell yeah, boys!" Alex lets out, not having one complaint about that. He knew he owed Greg a big hug for a good handling car and the perfect strategy call. "How bout that? Really proud of you guys today. Really good job guys. Can't thank you enough!"

Chase wound up placing ninth, though still had a smile on his face in watching Alex celebrate with the guys. He was already licking his lips, thinking about what was possible that night.

"Our boy won," he hears as arms snake around him. He recognized the voice immediately, as that was the only person he'd share with. "Fuck he looks good in victory lane."

"He just looks damn good in general," Chase replies as he turns around to face Ryan, having heard about his shitty luck with Brad. "By the way, I do agree that Brad is a moron. He's been a moron all season if we're being honest right now."

"They don't call him wreck-alowski for nothing.." Chase couldn't help but chuckle a little as he clasps Ryan's hands with his own.

"I know you're probably excited for tonight, but I want to ask you a favor. I want this moment with Alex. I want this win together, just the two of us. I know we have something the three of us, bu-"

"He takes the number one spot in your heart because I was the one to hur-"

"This has nothing to do with that, Ryan!" Ryan takes a deep breath, believing the words for this moment. However, it was that period which allowed Alex and Chase to truly connect together. "If that was still an issue, do you really think I would've slept with you again, and again? Do you really think I'd trust bringing you around with Alex? We've been best friends for life. Can you please let that go?"

"It hurt me as much as it hurt yo-"

"And that's why we're both letting it go, please..." Chase takes a deep breath, having hoped this conversation would've been a lot quicker and smoother. "I've told you before how much Alex means to me, on so many different levels. That's why I would like tonight for just us – but certainly we can have a celebration for three tomorrow."