Chapter 89: Preparing for the Clash

Alex's POV

Saturday, February 5 – L.A. Coliseum

I walk into the NAPA trailer, knowing it was time for our post-practice debrief. It felt damn good to be getting back to the grind, first of all. However, these trailer walls felt just a little different this year in knowing what was capable in them based on how the past couple months had gone. I wouldn't mind making some memories of our own.

I couldn't think about that right now, though. We were mere hours away from taking to the track to qualify for the Clash tonight, and I knew I had to lay down a good lap. It was going to be tough to pass, and you know everybody was going to fight tooth and nail to be apart of the show. It was why I knew the better starting spot, the better off I would be. It was just like any night at a short track.

It hadn't felt too terrible in practice, so hence the surprise when I learned I was only ranked 25th in the final practice standings. Was that right, or was there an error in timing and scoring? I mean, I know I'm not the super short track guy, but I did win at Martinsville last year. It just seemed whatever Greg and I figured out then hadn't carried over for me. If only I could rotate the center of the corner better...

There was one person on this team that had figured out that well, and it shouldn't surprise anyone. After all, he grew up running short tracks across the country so it was assumed he would know what he was doing here. It was why the No. 9 sat at the top of the practice chart following the session.

"I call bullshit," I start as I enter the conference room. I knew it wasn't nice to start off a room this way, but I was going to have some fun with this. After all, I did have a logical point that some people would argue was correct. "You got bonus laps on the track last night. That's the only reason you're at the top."

"Do I hear jealousy in your voice, Alex?" Kyle questions, catching my attention. Part of me wanted to believe it was a simple response to what I said, but then again, he was one of only two in this room that knew the truth about the relationship. Was he having some fun with it just as he tried at the Chili Bowl? If that was the case, this was going to be a very long season.

"I think Dale actually drove your car faster last night," Chase then retorts, causing my jaw to drop. I wasn't expecting him to go for the gauntlet and cut to the core, tearing me apart with a simple sentence. Don't I get any sympathy for taking care of your ass? "It's all about center of the corner, same as Martinsville. You need to roll it better."

"You're probably driving it in too hard as I started the session doing that." Okay, now we were actually getting somewhere as I may have to believe the theory they had developed together. A natural born dirt driver just sends it in as deep as they can, hopeful it was stick, controlling the gas to ensure that happens. Obviously, you could not do that here given how tight the corners were. "Back up your entry, and you should be fine tonight and tomorrow – or at least that's my advice. I mean, you could ask Chase over here as I know he'll share."

"Kyle's advice is on point." Our eyes locked together said more than his words could, because we both knew the game that Kyle was playing now. It was obvious he was going to see how far he could push the buttons knowing the truth, without making that apparent to the others in the room. Good luck to the crew chiefs in babysitting this group this year.

"I feel like I was getting back to the gas too soon," William comments, obviously everything going right over his head which was probably a good thing. I like William as he's a solid teammate, but I don't know how he'd handle knowing the truth. He already had a deep enough connection to everything dating Ryan's sister.

"The data backs up your theory," Rudy Fugle states, keeping the discussion thankfully on task. I just hoped we didn't give Mr. Noisy Pants over there any other opportunities to throw shade at us all.

"Did anyone else notice the big difference in steering input, like it was almost easier, too? I almost want to change the steering box up a level."

"I mentioned that back at Phoenix, hence the multiple spins and inability to keep it under me," Chase comments, which I didn't need a reminder of that experience either. All I could think about the comments made afterwards in people questioning his ability.

The rest of the conversations go as smooth as they usually do, with everybody comparing notes and ideas as to what to do tonight and tomorrow. It then followed by everybody filing out, surprisingly with Chase and I being the last two remaining. I wasn't going to question it, though, knowing that any time with him was valuable.

"Do you realize the game that Kyle is playing?" He questions once everybody else was out of earshot, and I nod my head immediately. He actually couldn't had made it anymore obvious for us both.

"Do you think he's going to do it all season long?" I retort, because let's face it, if that was the case, it's going to be a long year.

"If that's one of the sacrifices that I have to endure for you, then I am willing to do it." I wanted to keep the teasing going, something that would make things interesting. However, my heart was swept and damn, other motivations were going to cause other things to come to my mind.

"Is that the case?" I could only hope we had enough time for this to lead down the road I wanted.

"Why? Do you have a problem with that?" I could continue to tease and retort, because that was fun and we know the bigger the temptation, the more we endured. However, I also knew our time was limited as obligations were around the corner and anybody could reenter these confines of the trailer.

"Why would I have a problem with this?" I brush my lips lightly across his, trying with all my might to pull back, but unable to as they clashed harder with him pinned against the wall. This was why we could not be left alone, and why the words did not need to be spoken any longer.

"I'm not complaining one bit, either..." He then wraps his arms around me, allowing the kiss to reengage, yet deeper this time, both of us finding her fingertips on each other's firesuits. We both knew what we wanted, but there wasn't time.

"Tonight, I promise, as soon as we're done..." I slowly pull away, lust written in his eyes that probably matched my own. I knew for one thing – it was going to be hard to qualify well with a hard on in thinking what we were going to do later together.