Chapter 81: A Break from Chili Bowl

Wednesday, January 12 – Tulsa Expo Raceway

"We both have a day off from doing anything, and you're leaving me?" Alex questions, still in total shock as Chase double checks he had everything he needed.

"Is it wrong to want to experience the slopes just a little bit?" Chase offers, as he takes his phone off the charger, placing it in his pocket. "You know yourself that once we both get back to North Carolina, it's going to be full throttle busy till the season starts and I won't get a chance to snowboard. I would like to at least get a couple runs in before then."

"I was looking forward to spending today together..." Alex then reaches out, clutching Chase's hand with his own, pulling him close, erasing the distance between them. "I thought we could have some fun together."

"You could just come with me." Alex lets out a sigh, shaking his head no as he knew that was impossible. When it came to the Chili Bowl, he wasn't about to miss a single night of the action – or fun to be had afterwards at the party. After all, these were people that he didn't get to see a lot, most times just a couple times a year. He also knew it'd be rude to skip Jason McDougal's night on-track after all the help he had given the team. "Besides, it's only a single day. I promise that I will be back tonight and then you can have me all to yourself."

"You know that's a dangerous thought, right?" A smirk forms on Chase's face as he brushes a light kiss on Alex's lips.

"Let the thought carry you through the day as you look forward to what I have planned for you tonight." Chase then untangles Alex's hand from his own, heading out the door as Alex lays back on the bed.

He knew he'd be needing a cold shower before heading to the track as his mind could only wonder about what was possible when they were reunited that night.

Once he got to the track and the action began that night on-track, though, he had no time to think about what he and Chase had planned.

After all, he found himself in the midst of Rowdies, surrounded by his ABR teammates, cheering on their crew chief. Jason was also making their time worthwhile, putting together one of the most impressive drives of the whole weekend in going seventh to first in his heat.

"I don't think he wants to play the soup game again this year," CJ comments, to which Alex shakes his head no.

He couldn't believe the run through Jason put together in 2021, though, remembering how he went from the H-Main to the D-Main, only to be taken out in the final stages. it the talent behind the wheel then, along with other events, which conversations began in having Jason help turn the wrenches behind the scenes for ABR.

The momentum carried into the qualifier, as Jason put together another equally impressive run in going from sixth to score the victory, easily giving him the most points and pole for the main.

"He's rolling even better than we've seen Bell or Larson," Alex comments, very impressed as he was looking forward to seeing what Jason had up his sleeve for the feature that night. It'd be nice to see one of them lock their way in through preliminary night for a change.

Starting on pole for the main event, Jason was able to break out to the early lead, holding a healthy advantage over the field. However, that faded away quickly in the second half, as he was passed for the top spot by Rico Abreu. He then continued to fall back as he struggled with the handling, ultimately scoring a fifth-place finish.

"It was literally too good to start the event," he comments afterwards as they stand by the car reviewing over the night. "Once the track transitioned, I just had nothing for them up high as it got too bouncy."