Chapter 82: Chili Bowl Nationals

Saturday, January 15, 2022 – Tulsa Expo Raceway

It was finally the day that they had been working towards for the past two months. It was finally the day where Alex hoped to see the countless hours put in behind the scenes in the shop pay off. It was finally the day when everyone could come together, ready to put on one of the best events of the entire year.

This was Christmas morning for any racer across the country – it was time for the Chili Bowl Nationals.

As they headed into the building that morning, you could sense the extra hype in the air with everyone focused more on their cars than usual. Each team at each trailer surrounded their cars, going through the final nut and bolt check, debating whether they had the right combination to make it forward in hopes of being part of the main event.

There was no quick chatter, or banter, or stopping to see people. Nope, it was time for razor focus. It was why for that reason, Alex and Chase hadn't seen each other since arriving that morning as Alex ensured everything was perfection with both CJ and Jake, before turning his attention to his own ride.

Taking a deep breath, he just had to follow through with what he knew how to do – drive a clean 15 lap event, riding the line that was working, no mistakes. Starting up front for the C-main, he should easily be able to transfer through without a problem.

After knowing he couldn't keep obsessing over the little details any longer, he makes his way through the crowd of people, stopping by a certain pit along the way.

"Good luck," he says as he catches Chase's attention. "Just keep doing what you've been doing, and you'll be fine." Chase nods his head in response, knowing anything more would definitely be inappropriate with the amount of people around.

"Thanks man," Chase simply replies, offering a quick wink in knowing they'd be seeing each other later on that night, in hopes of having lots to celebrate.

"I was waiting for you to sneak him into the hauler for quickie," Kyle teases once Alex is out of earshot, causing Chase to give him an immediate shocked glance in return. He certainly wasn't going to get used to these comments all year long.

"Got to focus on the task at hand first." Kyle nods his head as he oversees the last minute adjustments from Paul Silva to the No. 9E midget as Chase gets ready to climb in. "Here we go..."

"Just do what you've been doing and what Brad (Sweet) has been telling you. Remember what we talked about after your prelim night. Aggressive, confident, pitching the nose." Chase nods his head, remembering how in-depth both of them went in the trailer with him that night, trying to remember to soak in as much as possible.

He climbs in the car, putting on his helmet, followed by pulling the belts over his shoulders. Giving them an extra tug, it was all about putting the best performance today in hopes of advancing.

After their quick conversation, Alex had gone to join the rest of the squad at the top of the turn two grandstands where they normally cheered as a group from. It had been a fun afternoon with the group taking bets on who would transfer, as well as debating some of the various incidents that had occurred.

"I think Chase should put in a good run," he comments as the first F-Main heads out on-track. He takes a deep breath, knowing his eyes would be focused on the No. 9E the entire event, in hopes it panned out as well as hoped.

"Are you obligated to say that with him being your teammate?" Jake teases, to which Alex could only roll his eyes in return. However, he understood what the man was saying in knowing this was a totally different ballgame than what Chase was used to.