Chapter 137: Babysitting Parents

Alex walks out of the bedsroom slowly, leaning back against the wall as he watches the pair before him in the spare room. 

They knew every room of the house and where to find everything. It was why they had gone through doing their laundry, gathering their belongings, and putting it together in their bags as they got ready to head out for the weekend. 

Taking a deep breath, it felt weird to be watching the items packed into the bags, one after one, without following the same process himself. It felt weird to not be double checking he had Finn's leech, or Fletch's or Sturgis' for that matter to ensure the dogs did not get into trouble in their travels. It felt weird to not be worrying something was being forgotten.

Perhaps the most weird thing was the knock on the door just a little earlier from a pair of individuals. Who would've ever expected that he'd have Bill and Cindy Elliott staying at his house, essentially babysitting him? Wait - a baby sitter at his age is perhaps the biggest surprise of this entire list, perhaps.

"Are you sure it's a good idea to leave your parents in charge of Alex?" Alex could hear Ryan questioning Chase as the pair double checked they had everything.

"My mom knows what its like to watch and take care of someone thanks to my dad," Chase starts with his reasoning, as he glances at his parents in the living room, before returning his eyes back to Ryan. "They're also two of the most caring people that I know, who will do anything that is necessary. They both also know just how much Alex means to me, and how much I care about him - and what he did for me for that matter." Chase takes a deep breath, still hating to speak of the mere mentions of anything that related to Kaitlyn. "If there's anybody that I can trust, it's them - and they offered. Given everything going on, he needs someone familiar just to be safe - and I think my parents fit the mold. Besides, Emma is busy and Erin is flying with William because that was my first two thoughts." 

"Are you okay?" The confusion was written across the face of both Chase and Alex in hearing the question asked. "And I'm not referring to Alex and everything going on when I say that, Chase. I heard the hesitation in your voice..." 

"Kaitlyn..." Ryan slowly nods his head, to which Alex could only let out a sigh in response. Seeing the pain that was written on Chase's face after that happened, combined by hearing the pains of the past, he would prefer to see the topic shelved forever. "I'm moving forward as best as I can, very slowly, but moving forward. I couldn't even say her name without a shiver or flashback - I can do that now. I can think of her, and know that I am stronger than what happened because of my strength, and those around me - especially Alex. Ry, I know how much we mean to each other, but I wouldn't got through that without him. There's just something special about Alex's touch and what he said that helped in ways I can't describe. I don't know what I would've done without him." 

"I was jealous at first, remember?" Chase lets out a sigh, nodding his head, as there was certainly some rough months for everybody involved. "I couldn't believe that you could see something in another guy - but I think I was more jealous because that connection you just spoke of, I could see it every single time I saw the pair of you talking together. It made my skin crawl, wishing I could reach that level with you. Now, though, I get it, I understand it, and I appreciate it just as much. When you said there's something special to him, you were damn well right because I can tell you I have no regrets about anything between us - and I always look forward to a night with my boys." 

"I'm glad that we were able to work things out..." Chase then reaches for Ryan's hand, clutching it with his own as the pair lock eyes together. "Because I appreciate you, and love you so much as well." The pair share a kiss, with Chase noticing someone out of the corner of his eye. He backs away, eyes focused over on Alex with a smirk. "How much of that did you hear?"

"Everything," Alex quietly replies, walking over to where they stood. He then wraps his arms around Chase from behind, lying his head on his shoulder. "And I can tell you that I appreciate your words more than you realize because I knew from the moment you confided in me there was something special about you. I'm glad that you've taught me, showed me everything. I am glad that I was able to be there for you and help you because Chase, you don't deserve what happened at all. I love you."

"Just like you don't deserve to be going through this," Chase replies with a sigh of his own. "I am going to miss you this weekend. Just promise me that you'll behave for my parents." Alex couldn't help but chuckle, still not believing how odd this whole arrangement sounded together.

"As long as you promise me - either of you - to bring home that win." The pair smile in response, knowing that was the ultimate goal as it'd make for a great way to switch the tide in their favor after a rough week together. "Oh, and don't be too hard on Noah. It's not his fault he's in my car replacing me this weekend." 

"I'll try..."