Chapter 92: World of Outlaw Sprint Car Debut

Thursday, February 10 – Volusia Speedway

Alex takes a deep breath as he leans back against the sprint car, knowing what was on the line that night. After three nights of rain, he was set for the first night of racing. But it wouldn't just be like any other. Instead, he'd be racing against the best sprint car drivers in the country with the World of Outlaws.

It was one thing to jump behind the wheel of one of these beasts and figure out what you needed to do. It was another to do so against guys who did this weekly, and were dubbed some of the best ever to do so.

How was he supposed to stand a chance?

"Take a deep breath, enjoy the experience, have some fun," Chase tells him as he stands by him outside of the trailer. The pair were first going to spend the entire night apart, but decided it would be fine as it was just a pair of teammates hanging out, right? "Learn what you can and apply it to the next night. You'll get there. But for what it's worth, I believe in you and know you can get the job done."

"Thank you," Alex replies with a slight smile, not trying to give off much else in return as he didn't want to start something they didn't want the rest of the world to see.

The nerves tried to shift their way through as qualifying neared closer, but once strapped in and ready to roll, Alex simply focused on one thing – laying down the best two laps of his life.

He was able to rip the top despite the track being rough, sliding through both ends just like the rest of his competitors had prior to him. He did so with enough speed to give himself a solid starting spot for the heats.

Racing around other drivers on the tour for the first time, he was unable to hang with the quickest guys in the heat, but kept focused on running the line he needed. Constant reminders, giving room where needed paid off as he scored a fifth-place finish to lock himself into the show.

As he moved forward to the main event, he was able to stay out of trouble to the first half, trying to digest as much as he could about the way the track was going. Ultimately, though, he'd fall a lap down with just under 10 laps to go, and being already back in 18th, he pulled the car into the infield with the thought of conserving for the days ahead.

"I'm proud of you," Chase comments afterwards as they head inside the ABR trailer. "I know it may not have been the performance you wanted, but you did a good job standing tall against the best in the division."

"I'm not complaining one bit," Alex replies as he reaches into the cooler, tossing Chase a can before opening one himself. "I was just happy to qualify – everything else was a bonus. I mean, that's an experience like no other doing the four-wide salute, racing amongst those guys. I shocked myself."

"I told you that you could do it, and you got two days to keep improving and do even better." Alex nods his head, accepting, knowing that was the focus moving forward. If he improved a little bit each night, then that'd be fine by him. "Did you break something at the en-"

"I just pulled it off before I did something stupid trying to stay out of the way of the leaders. The track was so rough, so hard to find the proper rut that you wanted to run in. I tried a couple different lines, but nothing seemed smooth." Chase nods his head, accepting, having noticed that too in watching Kyle at the front of the field for a couple laps as he chased down Donny.

"Pretty sure Kyle was the only fan of the track conditions tonight." Alex chuckles, having heard some of the comments from the others throughout the night.

"Kyle is a little crazy like that where he likes an odd challenge." Chase wasn't about to argue, having noticed that from their trip to California together in the off-season. "I don't know how he does this all the time, though..."

"Sore?" Alex nods his head as Chase walks over, rubbing his teammate's shoulders. "Does that feel good?"

"Great, actually." He then spins around quickly so the pair were facing each other with no one in-between. "But it'd even better back at the motorcoach, alone."

"This is your trailer. Can't you just kick everyone out?" Alex laughed, thinking about the idea in knowing they had some fun at the Chili Bowl in the same fashion. However, seeing the guys hustling around the car, he was doubtful of that plan this time.

"They're going to get suspicious as they probably want to get everything cleaned up and packed so they can get a good night sleep. They're not all blessed with someone to help them do that." Chase smirks a little, not having any shame in their activities the past couple of nights at the motorcoach. "I'm glad you came down early and surprised me."

"I wasn't doing anything, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else than with you right now." Alex smirks back in response, ready to reach out, those freezes immediately as he backs away, leaning back against the counter.

"Just as long as you promise to continue that massage later." Chase glances towards the guys, before another look towards Alex, having hoped for just a couple more minutes alone right now.

"The quicker we get to helping them pack up, the quicker we can leave and continue that..." Alex nods his head as the pair head out together, ready to help wherever necessary, hopeful to be back to their own retreat soon.