Chapter 128: Jealousy

Saturday, April 29 – Dover International Speedway

Chase lets out a sigh as he tries to focus his eyes on the tablet before him, knowing he needed to go over the notes as specified by Alan if they wanted to do anything right before this qualifying session.

However, nothing on the screen was ever going to captivate his attention more than the conversation before him.

He knew it was nothing. He knew there was no thoughts to worry about, or feelings to be had. He knew it was just a simple work situation and that's all that was happening.

However, he couldn't ignore the feelings in his gut as he watched Alex and William speak to each other ahead of the upcoming qualifying session. Why wasn't Alex coming to him for questions and tips?

Why weren't they trading notes? What were those two talking about if he got closer? Why was this bothering him so much?

Taking a deep breath, he began to realize what Alex was saying some weeks in watching Chase speak with other people, and even flirt with Ryan by himself. It was the same pain that drove relationships apart, but on a much smaller scale right now. Maybe it was time to be more sympathetic to Alex in those moments – or maybe it was time to stop worrying right now because he had nothing to worry about.

"Did you look over everything?" Alan questions, snapping Chase out of his thoughts as he looks back towards the tablet. He knew he couldn't answer nothing or else he'd be called out on everything immediately.

"Yeah," he simply replies, scrolling through things quickly as he tries to develop a better answer in return.

"Do I want to know what you were watching over there? I mean, is there a reason why we're watching Alex and William, and not doing our job?" Chase bit his tongue, knowing he couldn't very well say the truth to the crew chief. Sure, Kyle and CJ knew the truth. Sure, Isabelle and his parents even knew the truth. However, that was as far as the circle would probably ever reach for him.

"I am doing my job, Alan. I told you that I looked over the notes and..." He quickly swipes through the pages once again, landing back on the second one. "I feel this is the way to go, but with an air pressure tweak as we discussed to get the instant speed we're needing in qualifying."

"I still don't believe you're totally concentrating as you say, even if I agree with your decision." Chase lets out a sigh, wishing things were much simpler as lying to the crew chief was seemingly mission impossible. He also began to think things over, and who knew, and realizing that William was Ryan's brother-in-law, thanks to Erin. It'd make sense now if he knew the truth, or overheard something – although that'd still be strange as wouldn't Ryan cleared the air first? Shaking his head, he knew that theory was probably just a figment of his over active imagination beginning to complicate the situation.

"Trust me, we're fine." Chase then finally allows himself to take his eyes off the pair, knowing he couldn't just stare all day as he finally looks towards Alan. The other view was certainly much better. "You have nothing to worry about as I'm focused on the task that we're supposed to be doing."

"I know, and I believe you. That's why we're a great team." Chase turns up a smile in response, as the pair share a fist pump ahead of the upcoming qualifying session.

The other end of the spectrum, the conversation was nothing for Chase to worry about as it was about the racecar.

Considering the past few weeks Alex had noticed his and William's set-ups were drawing closer together and working, it seemed natural to share notes to try and find the missing piece of speed. It sucked in one way as he'd rather done this with Chase, but it seemed their driving styles just did not sync up together.

"By the way, I've noticed you and Chase have been hanging out a lot," William comments as they finish up, catching Alex off-guard as his jaw almost drops in shock over the comment. Were they really that obvious?

"He's fallen more in love with dirt, and enjoys the conversation with me," Alex tries to pawn it off, hoping William couldn't smell the crap from his end of the timing stand. What else could he had said to get out of this?

"Hey, I don't blame him as I can see the smiles on ya'll from a mile away. Why do you think I went crawling back to Donnie?" Alex chuckles, just glad William bought what he was saying. Now he just needed to hit the ball a little more to ensure victory.

"And for good reason as I hear you've been quite successful in your late model return." William nods his head, smile easily forming, sealing the home run for Alex. That was much easier than expected as normally they saw through each other's crap.

"Are you trying to butter me up there, Bowman?" Alex wished the line was coming from somewhere else, already having a flirtaous line picked up. However, there was nothing about William that could ever cause those to be delivered.

"Perhaps I want all of your secrets to success," but if it was Chase, he knew there'd be something else he'd be wanting to do with the butter.

"Good luck with that." Alex just shakes his head as he begins to walk away, knowing his time to qualify was coming right up.