Chapter 145: Martinsville Speedway

Alex walks through the gates of the track, stopping as he looks down the straightaway of the half-mile. He then glances towards the corner, before his eyes draw back down to the infield. 

He takes a deep breath, so many emotions swirling through him at once as he draws back to the past three weeks and everything he had been feeling. Now here he was here, ready to return back to natural habitat, but yet so much of it not coming across so easily. Why was there hesitation?

"Alex?" He hears his name called from behind, biting his lip immediately. He didn't want to spotted just quite yet. He wanted to get used to everything, subside what he was feeling, and just take in the sights before him. However, it didn't seem that'd be accomplished with Kyle walking up alongside after spotting him from behind. Leave it to his own teammate to ruin his plan. However, he couldn't be too upset, as at least this was someone who wouldn't say a word about where Chase and Ryan were standing right now.

"Hey," was all he replied with, forcing a smile across his lips as it'd save him from having to explain everything to Kyle. While he understood the reasoning behind getting your feelings out as people said, his teammate wasn't one of those who ranked on the list to get the receipts. He just hoped this would be a quick conversation and a want to get the day started would drive Kyle away. 

His nerves must have been easy to read, with Ryan almost reaching out to grab his hand and offer comfort, though froze at the sight of Kyle. He knew that Kyle was aware of Alex and Chase's involvement. He didn't know if he knew anything beyond that, and frankly, he wasn't sure he wanted everybody knowing of the circle here. It was one thing to have two men in love - that wasn't probably perceived as the most easy thing by a lot of people. However, for you to then follow it's actually a threesome may beg too many questions than answers.

"It's great to see you," Kyle comments to which Alex couldn't help but nod in agreement. It was certainly a nice step to be back at a race track, a place he had called home since he was very young. It just wouldn't feel right if he couldn't be at this place that had brought him so much joy and pleasure. "How are you feeling?" 

"A lot better than I was," Alex replies, knowing it was only polite to offer a response, again still hopeful for a short conversation. "Symptoms are gone, tests are coming back great. It feels great to be here." Chase and Ryan shared a nod, with a small smile each, in hearing the comments from Alex's words as they were all the things they hoped and wanted to hear. They were only hopeful the list would continue to grow as neither wanted to re-picture the nightmare of the past couple weeks.

"So is there a chance we will see you at Phoenix?" Alex nods his head, knowing no matter what he was feeling, there was nothing stopping him from being there. A racecar driver could never be kept from their home. That was also a special place, and he knew missing it would be worse than the concussion symptoms themself possibly. Only a few places had that effect, but Phoenix was one of those. "That's great because while Noah hasn't been the worst teammate, I miss ya man."

"I miss you, too - a little." Kyle only chuckles in response, before heading off to Alex's relief. Short and sweet conversation - just as he wanted.

He watches the hustle and bustle of everyone. He watches drivers going to their transporters, getting changed, bathroom trip, heading to their cars. He watches crew members making the familiar treks through the infield - technical inspection, fuel stop, Goodyear trailer, their own transporters, and work on the cars. He watches as cameras swarm each of those places, each photographer grabbing their desired images of the action. 

Taking a deep breath, you never realized just how much went into a race weekend, energy and mental wise, until you took a step back to see the pieces come together. Each of these pieces causing the brain to send a different signal and feeling, everything fighting for power and space at once. 

Taking a deep breath, this was home. This was a place that shouldn't feel weird at all. However, he couldn't deny the apprehension and anxious feeling that was taking him over as he kept watching the various pieces come together so easily. 

"You both have practice," he comments, noticing Chase and Ryan still hadn't left his side since they arrived, just allowing Alex to take the time he needed to do what was necessary. Considering almost every other driver was in the infield except them, that'd only beg more questions. He also didn't want to be the reason why one of them didn't take the checkered flag in first.

"We're here for you, Alex," was the only words he got in response from Ryan as Ryan clutched his right hand, giving it a squeeze. Chase simply repeated the motion on the other side, watching his partner in closer in trying to read every emotion and feeling that was displayed on his face. He thought they'd be already be about the weekend already, not stuck in this moment. However, he was willing to be as patient as necessary - no matter how much Alan lit up in his phone in disapproval.

 "I appreciate it, honestly. I love you both so much, but go about your weekends, do what you need to do to win." He takes a deep breath as his eyes focus on the No. 48 Ally Chevrolet sitting on pit road, with Greg and Noah leaning against it. Seeing someone in a driver's suit by his car was the only motivation necessary, as he knew it was a sight to not get used to. "I'll be fine. I just need to take my time, but I promise, I will be fine."