Chapter 34: A Scratchy Throat

Alex's POV

Thursday, November 4

I smile in watching everything come out from Phoenix, Arizona today.

I wished I could be there – I absolutely wished it was me in that moment right now, ready to battle for a championship. I believe we have a team capable of doing so, just missed it in consistency in the playoffs. This is the moment that you lived for as a competitor.

Though if I could not part of it this year, I had no complaints in watching Chase pick up the slack once again. You could feel the ease in words, confidence laced behind everything that he said. The pure focus on the goal and only things that make the car go faster – perfection. The fact that the confidence just came off of him, and he was quiet about it. It was just like another weekend for him before the media, despite the pressure at hand.

In contrast, you had Denny and it was almost forced, like he wanted to drill the thought of confidence down everybody's throats. No matter the question, he tried to come off as fire to emphasize his point, whereas Chase and even Kyle were just playing it like any other weekend, ready to go.

The fact that he said "drivers lack creativity" is the only reason I released the shirt broke me out laughing. No, I was creative in making the most of the situation and raising some money for dogs. I can also show you other ways that I can be creative, and FYI, the clock is beautiful to watch tick tock time by.

"Your throat sounds a little scratchy," one of the media members brings up to Chase. "Is that from yelling?"

"It might have been," he replies.

I noticed it in his voice when we spoke last night, and I noticed it this morning when we talked quick before he began obligations. It wasn't that much, but just enough to notice a slight tick off in him. Everybody would say to be nervous about that, but I wasn't in knowing the excitement he experienced in the Braves win, the screams that came with that, and some late nights mixed in there along the way.

While the water would probably helping ease it some as yes, I noticed his constant sips, I knew that I had an obligation to look out for him. If my man was going to fight for a championship, I wanted him to be in tip top shape.

"What's this?" He asks as he gets comfortable on the couch after changing out his firesuit. It was sort of ridiculous to see the drivers out doing interviews in their firesuits. I never understood why NASCAR and I guess the media demanded we wear those for media days. Wasn't a sponsor polo just enough? It just seemed so out of place, and weird – and by the way, they get uncomfortable after awhile.

"I made you a hot apple cider – with a small kick," I tell him as I sit down with one of my own. I wasn't about to let him enjoy one of my favorite winter treats alone as I could always use one. "When I would go away to the mountains with friends, we would always make these after a long day out in the cold to give us some warmth, and pick me up. It was relaxing and soothing, but perfect all together. I figured it'd be perfect on your throat."

"You don't have to take care of me. I'll be fin-"

"I know, but I want to take care of you. It's like I keep telling you, Chase. I love you, I care about you, I want to be there for you, I want to be in your company, and do whatever I can for you." If I had to repeat that every day for the rest of our lives, I would so if it meant drilling the point in his head. Hadn't he had someone do something caring like this for him?

"Thank you, I appreciate it. I'll also let you in a little secret – I love you, too." I watch as he takes a slow, little sip – which was the perfect way to indulge in this. If you drank too much at once, it'd burn your throat and you'd lose the touch that it had. "This is good, by the way. I may need to keep hanging around with you for some more."

"I have no problem with that as they become a constant in my winter," in which I hope to spend a bunch of that time with you, whether away in the mountains, or at home relaxing. Heck, I'd be all for spending days at the dirt track with you, too, since we know you're running a sprint car at some point.

"They'd be perfect after a long day on the slopes in Colorado." I hope that means that he wants to take me snowboarding with him. I don't snowboard at all, so I'd be all for taking some lessons from him and being close. I may be able to teach him some things back in return.

"Other than your throat, how did your day go?" It seemed like the perfect casual thing to ask after a work day.

"Just like any other media availability," which backs up what I was saying earlier about how he was handling it. "The usual questions that you would affect in wanting your opinion about a bunch of various things, as they try to set the stage for the weekend. There were a couple off-base Denny comments, to which I just laughed off because that's all I can do now. I can't believe you wreck him, but yet then he insults my fan base."

"He also said today that drivers lack respect when racing each other, and lack creativity so he was glad that he could help." The chuckle and shock combination that I just got in return is probably the same reaction everybody was having right now. Denny may think he's cool, but the only person he's entertaining is himself.

"Every time he gets in the Championship 4 or close to a title, he comes off as Mr. Cocky with all these comments. He did the same with Kevin, the same with Jimmie. It just makes it worse when he loses – which I plan on making happen Sunday." I smile, as I liked the sounds of that. Besides, he was right as I remember those days where the four eligible would sit on the stage together and he was always trying to up the comments.

"That's why I like your approach, and that's why I'm doing the same – just focus on myself, my team, and the goal at hand. I didn't bother calling him this week because to be honest, he's been so pompous and out there about it, I really didn't need to hear him brag for another day." I also didn't want to burst the bubble around me right now that was feeling perfectly awesome in scoring a win, and spending time with Chase again on a constant basis.

I had to pinch myself. I did that probably once an hour, sometimes more than that. At times, I couldn't believe this was real and we were truly spending this quality time together and as often. I didn't want to wake up and realize it was a dream – that'd be cruelty.

That's why I was going to take advantage of every moment that I could along the way.