Chapter 144: Good news.....

Alex takes a deep breath as he walks out of the office, eyes on the pair that saw before him. They had been there through the past four weeks, doing whatever necessary to help him, and here they sat once again. He knew they could've been doing anything on their day off, but yet they made the trip to Pittsburgh with him to support him. 

Taking another deep breath, there was a small smile that formed in knowing the news he was getting ready to share with them both. It certainly made some of the rougher days worth it after the exercises in knowing what they'd accomplished.

"That smile has to mean something," Ryan catches the smirk first, only causing it to grow a little more, as Alex unfolds the piece of paper that he held in his hand. A glance at each other, and both Ryan and Chase knew there'd be only one reason for him to have a piece of paper in his hand. 

"Conditional release papers to return back to competition duties - almost," Alex states, resulting in confusion replacing the smiles that were once before him. Conditional meant they had achieved what they wanted all the way, and there was still more work to do. That meant that perhaps the man before him still wasn't completely healed, which didn't comfort either of them. 

"What do they say, Alex?" Chase questions, not wanting to sit there in silence any longer as his worry would only peg more with each passing moment as he watched the man before him. Why couldn't he just spill it out already? There had to be a reason he was holding back in saying something, right? "Ale-"

"There's two things he wants me to do, and if they go smoothly without any issues, hesitation, pain, or feelings, then I am ready to return back to the racecar." Ryan lets out a sigh, immediately beginning to worry what the remaining factors were on the piece of paper. It seemed everything was based on a test, which partially didn't seem fair. Why was it so dependent on all these little things, and not a straight forward road? In his mind, he thought the numbers on the exercises combined with the other therapy going smoothly that Alex was ready. "He wants me to return to the track this coming weekend at Martinsville, take in the atmosphere, see how I feel with all the noises, hustle, everything going on. If I can handle that, I am ready to get back there." 

"Well that's great to hear because I absolutely have missed having you on weekends." Chase then reaches for Alex's hand, which Alex easily accepts in knowing the comfort was always welcoming - even if not necessary right now. He truly believed he'd be fine this weekend. "And for the record, we'll both be here for you every single step of the way all weekend long to offer comfort." 

"We want to ensure that this goes as easily, and best for you as possible," Ryan adds, to which Alex nods his head in accepting. He hoped their offer would extend beyond what he was saying, as there was another piece - and perhaps more nerving than simply attending a trip to the track. This is where he knew everything could fall apart in a matter of seconds if it were to go wrong in any way.

"He also wants me back in a racecar before an official event to see if everything feels right there, from feelings to reaction time to comfort. Since I described a sprint car feeling unnatural, just nothing feeling right that day with Jimmie at Charlotte, he wants me to return to that track in that very car - and see if I feel what I want again." Chase swallows the lump forming in his throat at the thought. He was all for a test before an actual event, as you never wanted to find yourself faced with everything in that moment. However, he also knew how the slightest mistake or slip-up in a sprint car could produce complete disaster. Was that really where they wanted to base everything? 

"So you agreed to both of these ste-" Chase starts, to which Ryan could see the fear in his eyes immediately as he looked between the pair. He knew the questionable response from Chase was probably not a good idea, as he wanted Alex to ride as much confidence as he could going into the test.

"Relax, we have both under control Chase with him," Ryan cuts him off, stern eye look to follow as Chase looks back at him questionable. He knew there'd be a conversation later, not only about the feelings, but frustration in being cut off so quickly. "If Alex feels comfortable in taking both of these steps and allowing them, then we're going to be as supportive as we can. If there was any worries, I'm sure he would've shared them with Mickey." 

"Am I nervous? Absolutely," Alex admits as he takes a deep breath, looking at his phone in debating just how soon to send the text message to the guys to get the sprint car ready and the date to be at Charlotte. "But I feel confident in myself. I know how much better I am feeling, how things just seem to be clicking and not feeling what I did before. I'm ready for this, guys." 

"Just promise me you'll be careful, safe, and do what's best," Chase requests to which Alex nods his head in agreement, offering a squeeze of Chase's hand as he does. He could understand the nerves, knowing it fell in line with his feelings as he sat there with Mickey initially.

However, he was beyond ready to get back behind the wheel.