Chapter 45: Next Gen Testing

Alex's POV

Wednesday, November 17 – North Carolina

"I still can't believe that you drove all the way to Georgia to surprise me," he says as I glance over with a smirk of my own.

I was actually surprised in myself, but what can I say? Love drove me to do it because frankly, I was missing the time we were spending together. Considering I had to spend months away from him, I wanted to take advantage of the time that we had ahead of us now.

There was also the fact that he was going to be busy the next couple of weeks.

"I still can't believe that you decided to ride with me in the truck all the way back," I reply in response, because it caught me off-guard when he decided to leave the house in the early hours this morning with me.

Though once I heard the reasoning – he had driven back a couple weeks ago so his father's plane was still here, it totally made sense to make a trip worth it.

"Just as long as you don't tell Alan or he may chew my ass out," he reveals, to which I nodded my head in response.

I was supposed to be headed to Charlotte Motor Speedway to partake in the NextGen test. With the fact that he was going to be traveling to California tomorrow, and everybody concerned about his logistics, they had allowed him to be the only one of us four to escape the opportunity.

Obviously, not everybody was in agreement as Alan had wanted to have his driver in the car so they could try some things with the engineers present and see where that took them. Let's face it – firsthand experience is better than hearing from someone else. So I understood Alan's perspective in that regard, and it was also why I was fully taking advantage of these two days.

"Your secret is safe with me," I assure him, leaning over the center console to kiss his lips. "Besides, I get to feel your ass all day long..."

With each team only allowed to prepare two cars, I was going to be driving the one prepared for ROVAL test originally for him to run while William and Kyle split the other. it just made sense anyway as sorry, they're both short asses. But even knowing he would not attend, I did not get them to change the seat insert. My hands had explored the contours of his ass and loved every slim touch at that moment. It was going to be nice to snug my ass to those same lines today all day long and tomorrow, too.

"It'll make missing your ass that much easier for me to handle," I add because frankly, I did not know how I was going to survive these next two weeks. He was set to spend seven days over the next 10 racing with Kyle on the other side of the country. Like, who does that to someone when they get the idea that freedom will give them the team they need?

"I am going to miss you like crazy as well," he assures me, to which warmed my heart as at least I wouldn't be alone in my worries. However, he'd have a damn good distraction in being behind the wheel of a midget. "That's also why I am going to hang around – probably hide out at your place, while you go test so we can spend one final night together before I fly out."

"You don't have to do that for me." I didn't need him doing too much and making himself tired in trying to keep me happy. There's no need to waste all of your energy and time if it makes you so damn tired and wears you down to bite your ass later.

"I'm not just doing it for you, Alex. I am doing it for my own sanity. Besides, if you really start missing me, you could always join the party this weekend." I nod my head, remembering the door was still fully open. He had even opened it further in saying his father could fly me out should I want to leave later than he had.

Truth be told, I was ready to say yes instantly, pack my bags, and make a huge trip out of it. However, I also knew that I needed to be smart. The Chili Bowl would be here before I knew it, and I had three midgets to put together. Maybe it was time that I took advantage of this free time and actually got some work done. There was also some sprint car stuff that needed to be done, and of course the boring office work that nobody wants to do, either.

Spending time with him was everything, but if I started ignoring all my responsibilities, everybody else may kill me.

"I haven't forgotten about your offer," I assure him as we reach the house. "I just have to make sure it works with my responsibilities."

"I know," he replies with a smile, obviously getting it as we both were cut from the same cloth here. "Have fun today and don't let yourself get distracted by my ass."

"I'll just keep reminding myself that it's all mine...."

It wasn't long before I was showered, changed into a sweatshirt and pair of jeans, and headed out the front door. I didn't bother giving him the tour of everything, as he had already learned it all from the time spent there. I trusted him being in the house by himself, not one bit worried as to what he would get into having a whole day.

Hey, at least Finn and Roscoe wouldn't complain as they had company in Fletcher and Chase today.

I made my way to the track, stopping at Starbucks on the way of course because there was no way I could survive today without coffee. Who gets up at like 3am to leave Georgia for North Carolina to be at the track for 8am?

It wasn't long before I was at the track, checked in thanks to the COVID sniffing dog, and in the garage area. A nod to all the crew guys, and it felt like no time apart. What's an off-season, by the way?

I also noticed Kyle right away and couldn't help but be jealous. Here was the man that was about to spend the next week practically every day except for maybe two with my man. How was that damn right fair? Not only is he your Cup Champion and getting all that glory, but he's stealing all the valuable time that I planned with Chase.

"Now I know if you have coffee that you were up late last night," he comments, to which I just smile back as innocently as I can in return. There was no way that I could tell him the real reason for why I was needing this to survive today. "Did you forget that you had to be here this morning?"

"Nah, I just got so focused in the shop and lost track of time," I reply, which was a total lie. However, anybody that knew me was all for my time in the shop – spending time focused on my racecars rather than doing anything else, except recently of course. So if there was something that he'd believe, that was it right there.

"I'm actually surprised to not see you coming to play this weekend." To be honest, I thought about it. It'd give me another way to spend time with Chase, which was always spectacular. It'd also be fun to get back behind the wheel of a midget as I hadn't raced one since the spring. Even if I wasn't driving myself, wrenching on a midget at the track is never a bad way to spend a day.

"I thought it quite a bit, actually. But I'm worried that if something goes wrong, I'm going to be screwed in knowing the Chili Bowl program we're putting together. I don't want to fuck things up and then piss off the sponsors, or screw over CJ or Jake in the process." Again, this was something that he'd probably understand because he knew where I was coming from – and it wasn't a lie.

"I can't fault you there, to be honest. I was just surprised that Chase and I were the only ones doing it." He actually made a good point as you'd think all of those who love this dirt game – such as Christopher or Ricky – would be all love wanting to do this, too.

"I guess Toyota still has a strangle hold on Christopher..." Kyle nods his head, which probably meant I was right on the money as I knew those two talked more often than he and I probably ever talked. To be honest, I couldn't remember the last conversation that we had.

"Well you better drink that up quick and get in the car so I think Chad may have a strangle hold on you, too." I wanted to chuckle, but a glance towards the engineering squad with Chad overlooking them and I knew that he was probably right. When it came to doing work, stick to schedule or be ready to be killed by Knaus.

Deep breath, Alex, deep breath. This was all about having as much fun as you could, while learning as you can about his new beast. Besides, you were going to get to feel someone's ass all day and see him in about 12 hours. I may need a couple more coffees, but I was going to get through this.