76

M was surprised to hear Teana sing and play the keyboard. She and J were never into playing any musical instruments and M quit choir when she moved out of the village. M was already astonished by Teana's musicality when she recalled the photo J showed her just before the entered the chapel. She chuckled at the memory of the photo. She tried to recall what the photo meant.

"Your Mom used to be part of the village choir. Dito mismo sa chapel na to" J said to the kids after Teana's song.

"Wow!" Bachi exclaimed.

"Dad said she was also the soloist" Teana shared.

"...one of the soloists..." M corrected.

J nodded proudly. "Ah Bach, may nakita ba kayong supot kanina?"

"Supot? Ah, Kitty saw a supot in the cooler kanina. Diba, Kits?"

"Hmm...here o" Teana took out the paper bag from the side pocket of the keyboard bag. "...I think you should open that outside though..." Teana said when M was about to look inside the bag after J handed it to her.

"Bakit?" M slowly put down the bag and looked at her family.

"...whatever Dad put in there made Bao and I scream kanina..."

"Ah...eto ba yun?" M asked. She tried to feel for the bag's contents from the outside.

The kids nodded.

J instructed the kids to gather their things and load it back into the van. He then invited M to tour the chapel.

"Intayin nalang natin yung mga bata" M said while Bachi and Teana walked out of the chapel. M then knelt on the pew and quietly prayed; J knelt beside her.

Memories of afternoons spent in the chapel flooded M's thoughts. She had joined the choir because her grandparents signed her up and they were very active with the church's activities when they moved to this subdivision. M was slightly hesitant to participate but she soon found joy in singing and it was also an excuse for her to be out of the house, away from Papa's eagle-watch over her. Besides, as the years went by and the soccer field was built in the playground next to the chapel, the once lazy and timid village boys also enjoyed hanging out at the park or joined the village sports activities. M would have wanted to join the summer soccer clinics, but Papa would not allow her. So, she struck an agreement with Papa that she could go to the park early to watch the practices and matches then spend the rest of the time at choir rehearsals.

M finished her prayers and sat down. J was already seated so he moved a little to give M more space. "Di pa rin talaga nagbabago ang ichura nitong chapel..." M said as she looked around the chapel's interior. The chapel still looked the same except for the upgraded windows and doors, a fresh coat of paint, added pews, and air conditioning. "Andun pa rin kaya sa likod yung mga practice at prayer rooms?"

Teana and Bachi returned and the family walked to the back of the chapel. Like the main interior, the general layout had not been changed except that the practice room now had more things.