59

The five and six year olds of Ward 11 happily played in the toy corner of the room.

"...kaw si Ate Patricia..." Bianca handed Rachel at clipboard. "..che-check mo yun medicine namin..." Rachel nodded and pretended to go over the paper on her clipboard.

"Ako si Tito Doc Ampao (Abao)..." Ryan said as he adjusted his glasses and got the toy stethoscope and began listening to the chest of Bubu Bear, the ward's resident hug bear.

"Si Diego si Kuya Doc..." Bianca said.

"Ako? Bakit ako?" Diego asked, pointing to himself.

"Susungit din ikaw minsan e..."

"Susungit ako kasi masakit yun yayay ko...pero na-okay na yun kasi kikiss ni Ate Nic yun yayay ko...wala na yun sakit..." Diego explained.

"...bait ni Ate Nic no? Gusto ko si Ate Nic...lagi sya naka-smile..." Rachel said as she put down her clipboard. "Gusto ko pag kumakanta na tayo..."

"Ako rin! Ano favorite song mo?" Bianca said.

"Hmm...nag-sing si Kuya Doc sa akin yung may shine-shine..." Rachel said.

"Shine-shine?"

"...you are my shine-shine...my only shine-shine...you make me happy when kaysareGay...you never NoNear...how much lalabyu...please don't take my shine-shine away..."

"Hmm...aask ko si Kuya Doc yun song..." Bianca replied. "...di ko syado maintindihan pag si Kuya Doc ang nag-sing e..."

"...uulit-ulit lang si Kuya Doc ng songs...si Ate Nic, madami songs" Diego said. "...gusto ko yung pag nag-aaction tayo ng 'wheels of the bus' saka yung 'going on a bearhunt'..." Diego added.

Except for the occasional beep of some machines and a whimper or cry from Trixie, a bedridden child, the atmosphere in the ward was light and happy. The bright, airy space was highlighted with splashes of colors making the room look more like a playroom than a hospital room.

The children who didn't need to be in bed most of the time were free to move about the room. The group who were playing in the toy corner were soon joined by the others. They were singing when J and M entered the room.

"Ate Nic!" Rachel ran to Nic and hugged her. The others joined in. J went to Trixie's bed and patted her leg to say 'hello'. Little Trixie, who had her eyes closed while she sucked on her pacifier, opened her eyes and smiled at J. She remained still and patient as J examined her.

"Anong ginagawa nyo?" M asked as she joined the children in the toy corner but taking note of those who needed immediate attention like emptying IV bottles, full diapers, and dressings that needed to be changed.

"Nagssing kami..." Rachel reported.