55

"Pangga! J!" M screamed as she plopped back down into the water. They were on a beach trip and M was walking back to shore when a rather large wave hit her lower back and thighs.

J, who had gone ahead, turned to look at M and saw how M suddenly disappeared with the huge splash. He ran back to her and was able to pluck her out of the water immediately. He carried her to shore and laid her on the sand.

Panting and crying she was able to say, "thanks." M rolled on her side as she coughed from swallowing sea water. J rubbed and patted her back to assist her and saw red welts and marks slowly appear on M's body and thighs.

"Pangga!" J exclaimed as the marks seemed to be getting redder right before his eyes.

"What?"

"I think you just got stung by jellyfish..."

"What?! Where?" M reached for her side where she felt something and suddenly winced when her hand grazed on her bare skin.

"On your back and thighs! M! Meng! Meng!" J said. He noticed that M was closing her eyes so he cradled her and said, "DON'T SLEEP! MENG! STAY WITH ME! TULONG! Tulungan nyo kami!" J screamed for help.

Fortunately, a group of local surfers were nearby. Some of them actually saw M get hit by the wave. A few seconds later, a few locals approached them.

"...eto, banlawan muna natin ng suka..." Je, a local, handed J a bottle of vinegar.

"Hindi ba ihi?" Caloy, a young surfer who ran toward J and M with Je, asked.

"Walang epekto ang ihi...mas okay ang suka...humingi ka ng mainit na tubig sa thermos kay Nanay Saling. Dalian mo!" Je said as J helped M lay on her tummy so that they could pour vinegar on the stings. "Ma'am, babanlawan din natin ng mainit na tubig ha?"

"...mas okay kung dalhin na natin siya agad sa ospital...baka allergic kasi sya sa lason nung dikya..." Je said after applying first aid on M's skin. Je had managed to pluck out some of the visible stingers with tweezers which Aling Saling brought along with the jug of hot water.

"...yung jeep ni Mang Victor pwede natin gamitin..." Celso, another local, suggested and ran to get the keys to the jeep. A small crowd had appeared and Celso was one of the few who tried to keep people away. A few minutes later, someone informed them that the jeep was ready. J carried M to the jeep while Celso drove. Je rode shotgun.

---

"...kailangan natin tanggalin yung bikini nya kasi basa at para makita din natin kung may ibang parte pa ng katawan nya ang maaring natamaan pa..." the doctor at the ER said.

"Opo...opo.." J said while somehow panicking as M whimpered in pain. "Pangga, they'll have to cut your bikini and check if you got stung in other parts..."