65

J watched as M bent over Joey in his bed, careful not to pull on his tubes. The little boy had been uncomfortable post-surgery. Even his tired mother and father could not console the crying child. Once the child seemed to quiet down and relax, M straightened up and turned to J and nodded at him. J was then able to assess the child without difficulty.

"The surgery went well and his sutures are healing properly. He can be discharged in two days if there are no other complications. The sutures should melt in a few weeks with very little scarring..." J talked to Joey's parents while M lulled him to sleep by singing him a lullaby.

M went around the ward talking to the kids while doing her assessments alongside J. They had entered the ward earlier and it was somehow chaotic as some of the kids were in various levels of stress, crying and complaining about sores and other issues. However, the mood changed as the pair finished their work and left to continue on with their other patients.

Many times, J witnessed how M's presence magically transformed moods in the patients; and this extended to the staff as well. M always had a ready smile and an encouraging word. Even when they were alone, M always had a positive and light aura around her. This helped J learn to change and become a better person, leaving all traces of Dr. Sungit in the past.

---

"Good evening" M smiled at the elderly couple. "Yes po, I'm Nic..."

"...don't you recognize us?" the lady asked. She was dressed in plain colored blouse and slacks with a scarf as accent. She smelled sweet, like vanilla. The older man had a beard. He reminded M of an Asian Santa Claus.

M nodded and her smile widened. She told Pearl that she would entertain the guests at the lounge just in case she was needed. Karen nodded and the trio walked to the lounge.

"Ako na ang bahala" Dr. Rodriguez said. She had seen Nic speaking with the elderly couple as she was walking down the hallway.

"Thank you po"

---

"Ikaw ba Angelo..."

"Papa, Rj.." Mama corrected. They were at the coffee shop across the street from the hospital.

"Ar...Arturo...sigurado ka na ba talaga?"

"Opo...I've never been more sure in my life po..."

"How long have you and Menggay known each other nga?" Mama asked.

"Almost a year and half po. I met her at work but didn't know that we shared a unit at the share house..."