61

"Good morning" J answered the door. It was rare for visitors to come by the share house. However, this morning, it was Ms. Ana, their landlady. They would occasionally see her when she would invite the residents for a get-together once or twice a month.

"Good morning J. Is M there?"

"Ah yes. Please, come in."

"Thank you."

"Oh hi Ms. Ana. Good morning." M said as she greeted Ms. Ana and J by the living room. "Have a seat"

"Thank you"

"...our payments are up-to-date, right? I mean, may pondo naman po yung post-dated checks namin. We'll pay for the repair of the bathroom..." M said as she sat on the ottoman across the sofa. J sat on the arm chair on the side.

"Yes. Your payments are good. No problem. And thank you for keeping the place spic and span" Ms. Ana said as she looked around the unit. "...I'm sure you're wondering why I came by...it's been what, a year?"

"...a little over a year...one year and one month his week..." J said.

"A year...oh wow...time flies...anyway, I...I regret to inform you that I won't renewing your rent month after next..."

"Po? Do you have new renters po? I mean, are all the other units occupied?" M sat up straight and looked at Ms. Ana.

"...one of the rules that I put out for renters is that the units are not meant to be for couples...an occasional overnight of a friend of the same gender is fine but heterosexual couples are not. I was a little confident in having you both rent this house in the beginning knowing about your work schedules and that you did not get along well even at work but I didn't foresee your work shift change, your eventual getting along, and now, being a couple. Your contract states that the units and rooms are for single occupancy and this house can be rented by a married couple with one or two small children. That is why all the other units are for single-occupancy. The main building has dorm-style rooms where up to 6 people can share the room because they have separate bunk beds. My husband actually built this house for us. So that I can oversee the running of the share houses but I insisted in staying at our old house and add this to the share house units for rent. I'm really sorry...." Ms. Ana said, a little remorseful. She was sad that it had to be this way but her rules were in black and white. All renters signed the contract as per their agreement.

M looked at J who looked at Ms. Ana.

"...that's why I came by...to give you fair warning and to help you find a place to move to...."

"...we like it here...it's very convenient..." M said, her voice almost breaking.

"...I know...my sister, Menchu, has some apartments for rent not very far from here. I can ask her if she has a unit available..."

"...thank you..." M said softly.

---