30

The change in schedules had Nic working with Richard during the end of her shift. The pediatric wing of Hopewell added a music program because they believed that entertaining the children made them heal better and faster.

"...any suggestions how we should go about with the music program?" Dr. Rodriguez asked during the staff meeting.

The room fell silent for a few seconds until Dr. Richard cleared his throat and raised his fingers which he was resting on his forehead, his elbow on the arm rest.

"Yes, Richard? Any suggestions?" Dr. Rodriguez acknowledged him. She, along with the other people in the room were actually surprised at Richard's volunteering.

"Why don't you assign one instead?"

"We were actually thinking about that but we also want to ask everyone's opinion, too..."

"Hmm...how about...Nic..." Richard says turning his chair toward Nic who was seated three chairs behind him on the long conference table.

Everyone looked at Nic who was not reacting to what Richard said. But deep inside, "Gago ka! Anong problema mo ha?"

"Nic?" Dr. Rodriguez looked at Nic as well.

"Po?" Nic replied.

"Would it be okay with you to handle the music program?"

Nic remained quiet for a few moments then quietly replied, "Okay po..."

"O sige, let's meet after this to discuss about it more..." Dr. Rodriguez said.

---

"May issue ba si Doc kay Nic?" Patricia asked Marnie after the meeting as they exited the conference room. Richard had exited a few minutes earlier while the nurses were asked to stay for final reminders.

Marnie just shrugged her shoulders. "May past ba sila?"

"Malabo ata yun. Diba galing states si Doc? I mean, dun sya nag-aral tapos si Nic, dito lang sa Manila..."

---

As Richard walked toward ward 11 earlier that day, he had heard singing as he approached the door. It sounded familiar but the song that was being sung was a nursery rhyme and muffled behind the closed door.

When he was a few steps away from the door, Nurse Gina pushed past Richard while shouting, "Doc, bed 3...."

They both immediately rushed in the room and found Nic hovered over a little figure on the bed. Three-year-old Cai was having a seizure. Nic talked rapidly, informing them what had just happened in medical jargon, but Richard and Gina understood everything and immediately got to work. Mommy Leila was trying to be calm at the foot of the bed as she watched. Nic moved to the other side of the ward to calm the other children down. This was the first time in many weeks that a child had a seizure in the ward. Also, Mommy Leila started to panic and cry loudly when Cai's body jerked.