44

Several weeks had passed and still no one suspected anything. Since Belle did not personally know Carlo even if they saw each other regularly in their department/area, she didn't say anything. And, whenever J would come by, she would casually greet him as "Doc" which was common within the hospital.

However, Carlo was getting slightly worried at J's sudden absence during their lunch hour. During the first few days, Carlo thought that maybe J attended an out of hospital conference. But, after a few more days, J was still 'missing' during their lunch break so Carlo started to worry more.

"Kakoy?" Carlo cautiously approached a colleague in scrubs who was seated at their usual table.

J slowly glanced at Carlo and smiled. He had not been called with his childhood nickname for a while nowl.

"Potek ka! Saan ka ba nagtatatago? Akala ko bumalik ka bigla ng States e."

"OA mo"

"If Mamita didn't say that she talked with your folks the other day..."

"Is Mamita okay? She texted me"

"Buti pa si Mamita, napansin mo yung text nya..."

"Drama!" J chuckled. "Ano yang dala mo?" J said because Carlo was still standing near him.

"Kape. Eto sa yo, your favorite, caramel macchiato with 1 pump each of vanilla and mint syrup"

"Uy! Salamat! I haven't had this in a while..." J said as he carefully removed the lid and stirred his drink.

"Saan ka kasi nagtatago? I mean parang ang tagal mo na ngang di nag-l-lunch dito. At teka..."

"Ano?" J said as he brought the cup to his lips and carefully sipped the hot coffee.

"...parang may nag-iba sa ichura mo..." Carlo said while staring at J.

"What are you talking about?"

"Dude! Bata pa lang tayo, lagi na tayong magkasama. The only time we were separated was when you went to the States to study. Nagulat nga kami na you decided to come back and work here. Hmm...may babe ka na no? Sino sya? Pakilala mo naman"

"Wala..."

"Anong wala. Huy! Kilala kita. Namumula na naman yang tenga mo o and wait, is that a smile I see? Dude, nagiging jacuzzi na yang dimple mo e. The last time I saw your dimple that deep was when we watched reruns of Kalyeserye episodes and Yaya Dub would appear on screen!"

"Wala nga!"

"Kingina! Lokohin mo lelang mo! Mabulunan ka sana dyan sa kape mo!"

"Gago!" J replied, laughing and shaking his head. He took a sip of his coffee then began to cough. "Kingina!"