43

Nic seemed to have some 'magic' about her because the kids in Ward 11 who were all 'new' were calmer and more cooperative that evening, Even the other patients in the private rooms were quiet throughout the night.

Nights were usually quiet in most parts of the hospital because the clinics and more 'public' areas were closed for the night. The hallways were dimmer, too. The most active and chaotic place in the hospital at night would be the Emergency Room which was far from the 7th floor pediatric wing where Nic worked.

Nic kept herself busy by studying and reading up on the cases of the kids under the pediatric team's care. She also watched some videos and read up on manuals given to her on the Music Program she was doing. Occasionally, a nurse would be paged for a small emergency in the wards and rooms. Luckily, tonight was a calm night for Nic. She only got to respond to two minor emergencies.

"Sana gabi-gabi, ganito..." Robin, Nic's night shift companion, quipped.

"Hmm...wala masyadong critical care..." Zoey, another nurse, said while looking at the boards with their patient's names.

"Apat nga lang sila sa Ward 11 e..." Robin said.

Zoey nodded. "Pero kahapon lang ata sila 'nabuo' kaya parang war-zone daw sila kahapon...kawawang Pearl at Patricia..."

"Pang umaga sila diba?

"Yup! Si Pearl ang sumalo muna sa work ni Nic kasi nag-leave nung weekend..." Zoey explained.

"Ahh..."

"...and sabi nila, hindi daw nagalit si Sungit kahit na nagkakagulo yung mga bata kasi nga bagong opera o bagong admit sila sa Ward 11"

"Ows?"

"Oo. Mas nahirapan pa nga raw sina Pearl at Patricia..."

"Di nagsungit si Doc?"

"Hindi daw. Gulat na gulat nga si Patricia na nakangiti na agad si Sungit umaga pa lang. And take note, ang aga daw dumating..."

"Hmm...ano kaya ang nangyari nung weekend?"