11

Theirs was always a series of missed encounters. Destiny was still having a little fun with our two young ones. In years to come, they would forget a little of each other but serendipitously meet again and reunite.

---

"Hi Carlo!" Clarice said.

"O, andito din kayo?" Carlo asked.

"Yeah, Ashley said you guys were watching a movie kasi. Where is she?"

"Ah, nag-CR lang..." Carlo replied and glanced over to the cinema restrooms.

"Is Rj with you?"

"Ah...oo...pero kasama ata nina Paolo at Jose, nag-arcade..."

"Oh...so, he didn't watch a movie?"

"Hindi...eh ikaw, sino kasama mo?"

"I'm with my mom and dad...and I think I saw the other people in the village here also..."

"Talaga? Mall day ba ng village?" Carlo chuckled.

"Maybe...wait...I think I just saw someone from the village..." Clarice said as she looked past Carlo.

"Sino?" Carlo said as he turned and looked at the direction where Clarice was looking.

"Nic...she's with her grandparents..."

"Ah...taga-village din yun, diba?"

"Yes. O sige, I'll go na. Don't forget my party later ha?"

"O...oo...730 diba?"

"Yes, my house...remind Rj..."

Carlo didn't reply anymore and just nodded. He turned and walked toward the restrooms as soon as Clarice turned to walk away.

It were like scenes in a movie –Rj or Nic would walk or be at one part of the mall but never bumping into each other; either one was 'early' or 'late' or on a different floor but roughly around the same spot (like by the railing of one floor or the glass window display of a store). At one point, one or the other would be looking at a window display while the other casually passed by behind while walking, not noticing anything or anyone.

---

"O Meng, alis ka na?" Belle saw Nic at the front lawn of Clarice's sprawling residence.