27

Nic sensed that someone was inside the pediatric wing conference room. The room was next to the nurses' station and usually empty except for shift changes when nurses endorse patients to the next shift. Nic was rather wary to open the door to the room because she might walk into a very important meeting.

"May tao?" Nic asked Patricia who was at the station desk.

"Si Sungit...kanina pa pumasok...di pa lumalabas. Nga pala, kamusta si Alexa?" Patricia replied.

---

Nic had spent a big half of her shift with Alexa. The girl suddenly developed a persistent cough. She had been wheezing heavily for the last few days. Although efforts were done to remove mucous from her respiratory tract and lungs, she still kept on coughing. She had been coughing so much that it caused her to become incontinent.

In spite of the other nurses' and her Mamang's efforts, Alexa became inconsolable when she realized that she had soiled herself.

"Hindi ako baby! Hindi ako baby!" she kept on crying as her Mamang changed her clothes, the third set since the afternoon.

"Shh...tahan na..." was all her Mamang could say. She, too, was confused and concerned with what was happening to her daughter.

The evening before, Alexa was 'quiet' when Nic entered her room to check on her. Mamang updated Nic on what had happened and Nic confirmed it with Alexa's chart. As Mamang and Nic spoke, Alexa stirred from her sleep and started coughing again. Nic was quick to help Alexa sit up while Mamang immediately handed her the kidney dish which Nic positioned under Alexa's chin. Mamang massaged Alexa's back. In between wails and sobs, Alexa coughed up mucous. Nic noticed, however, that the color was 'off'. She took a mental note as Alexa continued to cry and cough. As 'expected', she soiled herself again.

"Bingbing (Alexa's pet name)...okay lang ba na suotan ka namin ng diaper?" Nic asked softly after Alexa had been changed. "...sabi kasi ng Mama mo, paubos na yung dala nyang damit mo..."

"...hindi pa natutuyo yung nilabhan ko..." Mamang added.

Alexa turned her head away from Nic and Mamang as she closed her eyes, a tear rolled down her cheek. She pouted and wiped the back of her hand on her face before nodding slowly. "S...sorry..."

"Huh?"

"Sorry po. Di ko naman alam na maiihi ako e..." Alexa said softly.

"...ahh...yung sobra mo kasing pag-uubo, tumutulak dun sa pantog mo kaya kahit na sa isip mo konti pa lang ang wiwi na naipon, napipiga sya ng di mo namamalayan..." Nic explained.

Alexa turned her head toward Nic. Nic patted Alexa's hand to let the girl know that they we're 'looking' at each other. Alexa inhaled deeply and coughed. Mamang was quick to reach for the kidney dish again but Alexa swallowed and shook her head. Nic carefully lifted the sheet that served as Alexa's blanket and pressed her hand on the mattress protective sheet. Alexa shook her head. "Wala..." Alexa said to acknowledge that she felt Nic inspect the pad. "Ate..."