4

A few months later...

"Ang cute nya ha..."

"Sino?"

"...si Clarice..."

"Ahh..." Rj said and quietly sighed in relief "...akala ko SYA..." he thought to himself.

"Maarte naman...." Rj said.

"Hmm..pero laging willing manlibre o kaya nagbibigay ng merienda at cookies..."

Rj just looked at Carlo and shook his head.

Rj and Carlo were at the field watching a practice soccer game. Across the field and near the gate to the village park gate and chapel were another group of people. A lot of them were the parents and families of the kids playing in the field. It was also a holiday and the village admins organized a social event for the villagers. The villagers were treated to food booths and a mini bazaar. Relay races and games were also organized. Rj opted just to watch the goings-on from afar.

"...dun nalang kami ni Carlo sa field..." he told his parents when he agreed to join them at the park but with the premise that he would not be forced or called to join any of the activities. His parents agreed because they had long wanted Rj to move on from his grief but allowed him to do it on his own terms and time. They were quite grateful for Carlo being the only one amongst his cousins and friends whom Rj trusted enough. Carlo was instrumental in getting Rj to get out of the house more.

---

Carlo was concentrating on the action on the field that he thought Rj just went to the restroom when the latter stood up and left.

"You're Rj's friend, diba?" Clarice said when she approached Carlo, blocking his view.

"Huh? Uhm...can you move...please..." Carlo said. He was startled when Clarice approached but at the same time he was concentrated on the game.

Clarice stepped aside. "Where's Rj?"

"Ah...R...CR...nag-cr...ata..." Carlo said not taking his eyes from the field.

"Can I sit here and wait?"

"Huh?" Carlo glanced at Clarice again.

"Sabi ko, can I sit here. I have some cookies kasi for Rj..."

"Ahh...iwan mo nalang dyan..."

Clarice sat down and tried to watch the game. "What's happening?"

"...game...Sta. Rosa vs. Sta. Maria..."