36

A week after Nic's absence from work, things were 'back to normal'. This was the first time she had to go on leave due to dysmenorrhea but when she checked with her doctor, she was fine. In fact, the following day after her leave, she was back at work.

"Anong nangyari?" Rj asked with a tinge of concern in his voice although he tried to show his 'sungit' persona.

"Dysmenorrhea. Usually, after kong tulugan, okay na ako pero kahapon, siguro sobrang pagod lang ako kaya mas naramdaman ko yung sakit."

"Ah" Rj didn't quite understand how it was like for girls to have their monthly period. His sister passed away when they were still kids. He wasn't very close to his female classmates. His exes didn't show or tell him how uncomfortable they felt during their period days. "Pero okay ka na?"

"Yes. Okay na ako" Nic smiled and walked ahead of him.

He watched her work with the kids in the same way that she always did. The kids were also very happy to see their favorite Nurse Nic.

---

"Uhm...Me..." Rj was about to call Nic "Meng" but stopped himself. "...gago ka! Baka mag-freak out yan!" he thought. "...Mendoza...NnnNic"

"Yes, Doc?" Nic replied. They were walking together to visit the patients.

"...nakita ko dun sa board, mag-d-day off ka?"

"Ah, opo. Birthday leave ko this weekend. Matagal na na-approve yun e"

"Ah. Happy birthday"

"Thank you pero sa Sunday pa ang birthday ko"

"Oh...anong gagawin mo after ng shift mo?"

"Hmm...kakain lang tapos uuwi na..."

"Saan?"

"Po?"

"I mean, saan mo balak kumain?"

"Diyan siguro sa mall sa kabila" Nic nodded toward the area of the mall near the hospital. "Usually kasi, nagpapalipas muna ako ng oras dun bago umuwi. Hindi rin na-approve yung leave nung bestfriend ko so di kami makakalabas for my birthday."

"I see. Kung wala kang kasama, I'd like to invite you out sana for lunch..."

Nic stopped walking. "Po?"

Rj was two steps ahead of her. His heart was beating so fast and he was afraid that his reddening ears would give away the nervousness he was feeling. "Ehem" He cleared his throat as he turned back. "I'd like to invite you out for lunch. Treat ko na since birthday mo naman." Rj said slowly, consciously trying not to fumble or stutter.