19

"This is Carlo, my boyfriend, and Rj, his cousin." Ashley introduced the boys to Ate Cher who was currently seated at a table just outside the venue of the show.

"...okay. Ashley, you'll be here at the table with Marga. You'll be in-charge of tickets. Boys, follow me" Ate Cher said. She stood up from the table and walked toward the theatre, Rj and Carlo following closely. "I'll assign you to the doors. You just have to check on the seat numbers and direct guests to the proper door. Carlo, right?"

"Yes po..." Carlo replied.

"You can man this door...you, come with me..." Ate Cher continued and walked again to the other of the lobby.

"...uhm..." Rj tried to get Ate Cher's attention

"...the work is really easy..."

"Yes po...but..."

"But what?"

"I don't think I'll be here during the show itself po..."

"Huh?"

"I'm leaving for the states tomorrow po..."

"Ah..."

"...Mmm..." Rj began but stopped himself and immediately said, "Carlo, my cousin, nagpasama lang sya tonight..."

"I see..."

"Sorry po..."

"It's okay..."

"...I'll ask someone to take my place..."

"Hmm...no, it's okay. I think I have someone who can do it. Anyway, you and Carlo can watch tonight's rehearsals. Just remember to sit in the back and be quiet..." Ate Cher said. She left Rj and went backstage.

---

From the stage, Nic saw Rj in the shadows of the theatre. They had agreed on not letting anyone know about their almost daily alley rendezvous so both tried to act naturally. Nic was inspired by having her 'special friend' in the audience that she really did her best. This surprised her choir mates and the musical director.

"Whoa!" Carlo exclaimed when Nic hit a high note and did not falter.

Even Rj was slightly surprised by Nic's belting prowess. If only he could run to the stage and hug her, he would but he restrained himself and acted cool. He joined the rousing applause given by the handful of people inside the theatre.

---