33

Nic was happy to be surrounded with familiar faces. It had been years since she and Belle had last seen most of their choir mates. Although most have either gotten married or moved abroad, there were still a good number of them who arrived and excitedly prepared for the reunion 'concert'.

Nic arrived at the chapel hours before the event. Memories of choir practices and church activities flooded her memory as she entered the back room where they were to get ready later. After putting her things in the room, she went to the main church. She knelt down on one pew and prayed. Minutes later, Nic sat down and quietly reflected. She looked around and saw a few people scattered on other pews praying and reflecting as well. Some staff were busy cleaning and preparing the chapel for the event.

---

Rj arrived at the village before the event. He looked at his watch and decided to drive around first since he got there early. He first drove in front of his old house and saw that the gate had been changed into a grill one instead of the old solid steel gate they had before. In the garage were two kiddie bikes. He paused to look at the house and imagined the layout from his memory. When a motorcycle delivery stopped and rang the doorbell, Rj left and drove toward the inner part of the village. Reading the once familiar street names, he remembered the many paths thru empty lots that he and his friends would use to go from street to street. Most of them had houses built on them now. As he approached the chapel, a familiar alley caught his attention. Suddenly, memories of afternoons spent there with 'Meng' flooded his thoughts. Rj glanced at it as he drove by. It was by the main street of the village so he really couldn't stop for long. He saw the chapel in front of him "...just one more stop..." he thought as he drove past the chapel.

He headed for Carnation St. at the back of the village. Many years ago, after he had gone off to college, he also visited the area but the person who lived in that street had already moved out. Still, fond memories of those years filled his thoughts. The façade of the house still looked the same. Although he never saw her at the window where she said her room was on the 2nd floor above the main door, Rj looked up and imagined. Knowing that another family now lived there, he just passed the house and returned to the chapel.