16

Nic sensed something odd as she quietly tried to slip into the house from the kitchen. It was just past dinner time so she was hoping that her grandparents were already eating and she would just join them. She could hear voices while she washed her hands. There were no unfamiliar cars parked outside so she was not sure if they had guests. In her haste to get inside, she didn't really look at the front porch for long.

"...mag-w-walking daw po sya..."

The voice was very familiar. Nic slowly returned the towel she used to wipe her hands on the rack and walked quietly out of the kitchen. She saw Ate Nelia quietly standing on 'her spot' between the kitchen and main area of the house. She didn't notice Nic slip into the kitchen.

Walking past Ate Nelia, soon Nic saw Belle facing Papa while Mama stood on their side, facing them. Belle noticed Nic approaching and she moved her gaze toward her friend. Papa and Mama turned to look. Ate Nelia slipped back into the kitchen.

Papa glared at Nic. "NICOMAINE DEIDRE!"

"Teodoro" Mama said.

"Saan ka galing?"

Nic froze on her spot, 2 feet away from Papa. "...nag...nag-walking po"

"Saan?"

"Nag-walking po dito sa village lang."

"O, dito lang naman pala sa village e" Mama said as she approached Nic.

"Hindi ka lumabas?"

"Hindi po." Nic replied. "Wala din po akong dalang pera" Nic removed her sling bag from her back and opened it to present its contents to Papa.

Papa moved closer to inspect Nic's bag and saw that it only contained her file folder of music sheets, a small towel and small vanity kit.

"Sabi sa yo, Marian, dapat ipasok nalang natin tong si Menggay sa kumbento e"

"Pa" Nic whined.

"Wag kang OA, Teodoro. Walang masamang mangyayari kay Meng. Laging nag-iingat yan, diba anak? Mapagkakatiwalaan naman natin sya e"

"Opo"

Papa sighed heavily.

"...Pa, mag-15 na kami ni Belay, siguro naman pwede na kaming mag-ikot dito sa village ng nag-iisa. Please? Dito lang sa village. Promise, magsasabi ako kung lalabas ako kahit sa convenience store lang sa labas ng gate..."

Papa thought for a moment then nodded, "...basta dito lang sa village..."

"Opo. Dito lang sa village"

"Dito ka na maghapunan, Belay..." Mama said.

"Thank you po..." Belle replied after Nic approached her. They both went to Nic's bedroom first.

"Kala ko naman kung ano na ang gagawin ni Papa sa akin. Pinatakbo ako ni Nanay papunta dito bigla" Belle called out from the bathroom. "Saan ka kasi nagpunta?"

"Nag-walking nga..." Nic said. She didn't tell Belle or anyone 'close' to her where she really went.

---

"May bisita daw si Kakoy kanina sabi ni Ate Virgie" Mama said while she and Pops prepared for bed.

"Bisita?"

"Pero dun lang daw sila sa labas nung gate...babae daw..."

"Bakit di nya pinapasok?"

Mama shrugged her shoulders. "Ganun din naman tayo dati, diba? Baka naman napadaan lang yung tao"

"Hmm...pero babae yun, dapat pinapasok nya kahit sa garahe man lang"

Mama looked at Pops and shrugged her shoulders again. "I'm sure alam naman ni Kakoy yung dapat nyang gawin. Hayaan na natin sya. Malay natin, etong mga bisita ni Kakoy ang tutulong para mabawasan ang depression nya. Matagal ko ng dasal na sana malagpasan ni Kakoy yung hirap nya after mawala si Chichi..." Mama said.

Pops nodded and gently caressed Mama's cheek with his hand before gently pulling her close and kissing her on the cheek. "Sana nga."

---

"Koy...kamusta si Carlo?" Mama asked the next morning at breakfast. "Matagal-tagal na syang di bumibista..."

"Busy...may girlfriend"

"Hmm...eh ikaw?" Pops wiggled his eyebrows over his coffee mug.

"Ako?"

"Wala ka bang babaeng kaibigan?" Mama asked.

"Yung laging lumalapit sa yo sa field..." Yaya Virgie said while she poured more water into their glasses.

Rj raised his eyebrow at Ate Virgie who was smiling and wiggling her eyebrows. Mama noticed this and curiously looked at Yaya Virgie.

"Yung maputi na laging lumalapit sa inyo ni Carlo...nakikita ko kayo kapag napupunta ako sa tindahan sa park" Yaya Virgie added.

Rj shook his head. He remembered Carlo's reaction and comment about Clarice's cookies and smiled to himself. "...hindi na muna ako mag-g-girlfriend..."

"Sabagay, next month paalis na tayo for the states..." Mama said.

"Eh paano yung date?"

"Ah...tinawagan ko na si Angie, yung travel agent. Fully booked daw yung mga flights sa ngayon so baka di natin ma-move yung date...she'll call me again in a few days"

A sudden pang of hurt and sadness swept over Rj. He excused himself from the table. Instead of hopping or using his crutches with his broken foot off the ground, Rj slowly walked to his bedroom (still using the crutches but with both feet on the floor now), taking his parents by surprise at his 'sudden' recovery from his accident. They looked at each other but kept silent. Mama said a silent prayer of thanks for her son's quick recovery. Besides, Rj still needed a few weeks of therapy to fully function and relearn how to walk and use his foot properly again.