53

Saturdays were usually quiet for the two. Since both had the weekend off from work, they spent time cleaning their apartment, doing errands, and family time together. J's parents lived abroad but they had video calls once in a while so Dad and Mom got to 'meet' M already. On some Saturdays, J would bring M to the farm to hang out with his cousins. She had met the General who was very strict in the beginning but soon warmed up to M and treated her like one of his grandkids.

"Ah, so apo ka ni Teddy?"

"Yes po"

"Dada, was he always like that?"

"What do you mean?"

"Kasi po, hindi nya maalala yung pangalan nitong si Rj..." M explained.

"Ah." The general chuckled and shook his head. "He was the one who gave me the nickname 'Daffy' actually. Magkaklase kami since elementary."

"Oh. I thought your parents named you after Daffy Duck, the cartoon character"

"Nagkataon nalang na naging sikat na rin si Daffy Duck later on pero it was Capelli who named me 'Daffy'. Buti nalang may hawig sa Da for Daniel and Fy for Faulkerson. We used to call him..."

"Peloy? Pelong?" M looked at the general. She had heard the nickname before.

"Peloy. Kasi nga Capelli. Italian yung pangalan pero napaka-Pinoy ng ichura. Sabi nga ng barkada namin noon, Italian yang si Peloy – Ita na may lahing Ilocano." The general laughed.

J was amused and pleased how M easily warmed up to his grandfather. Most of cousins and friends were always anxious when they knew the general was around but M didn't seem bothered at all. In fact, J noticed how Dada and M easily warmed up to each other.

---

M wondered why it was taking J a while in the bathroom. She had already started a load in the washer and tidied the kitchen of the plates they used for breakfast but J still hadn't come out of the bathroom. She knocked and he responded with grunting.

"Ga, are you okay?"

"Ah...yeah...ahhh...naparami ata yung kain ko ng apples..." J replied.

"Ah...do you need help?"

"No...nooo...I'm fine...fine..."

M turned and shrugged her shoulders.

"Ga, I have to go to the store to buy something. Are you sure you're okay? Do you need medicine?" M went by the bathroom door a while later.

"Ah...yeah...I'm fine...I'm almost done...see you later..."