3

At an early age, Nic's grandmother, Mama, signed her up to join the village church choir. Since Mama and Papa went to church every day, they brought Nic along with them. From her interactions with her choir mates and the seniors of the church, Nic grew up showing a lot of compassion and care for people around her.

"Mag-madre ka kaya?" Papa suggested when Nic mentioned that the choir was being invited to sing in other churches.

Now 12 years old, Nic just looked at her grandfather. Although she was known to be genuinely nice, respectful and with a ready smile, entering a convent never crossed her mind.

"Teacher?" Mama, her grandmother, asked. She had seen how Nic would line up her dolls and pretend to read to them as a young girl. In later years, Nic would be assigned to assist their music coach when teaching new songs to the choir.

"Pwede...pero siguro preschool..." Nic said.

"Ah, alam ko na!" Papa said.

"Ano?" Mama replied.

"Magdodoktor itong si Menggay natin..."

"Doktor?" Mama asked.

"Oo..."

Nic just looked at her grandparents. She thought of the years of study it would take to become a doctor. Then again, it was also one of her dreams to be a doctor.

---

Clarice always tried to catch Rj's attention. He didn't even like talking to her so he constantly avoided her.

"Di ka na naman pinansin" Ashley said.

"Baka naman may iba syang gusto?" Brianna said.

"Who naman? Eh I'm the prettiest...ay wait! You're both pretty din pero I'm the prettiest, diba?"

Ashley and Brianna just looked at her.

Clarice looked around the park to see if there were other 'pretty' girls that Rj might be interested in. She failed to note, however, that Rj would only come to the park when Carlo was around or there was a soccer game going on. And if he did go to the soccer field for practices, it was during the times when Clarice didn't want to be outdoors because she said it was too hot or she wasn't in the mood to be out.

---

Being helpful was one of Nic's memorable traits. She was also nicknamed "girl scout" because she always seemed to know what to do in 'emergencies'.

"Ay! Anong nangyari sa yo?" Nic asked when she saw Clarice with a bleeding wound on her elbow and knee on the curb of the park. Nic immediately applied first aid. All the while, Clarice kept on whining and complaining even if the wound was small.