24

a/n:

part of this chapter's timeline is jumbled up...

--------

"Okay ka lang?" Belle asked when she sat with Nic at the cafeteria. They sometimes had lunch together before Nic went home from her night shift and Belle started her afternoon shift. "Kelan ka nga lilipat ng apartment? Di mo pa rin sinasabi kina Papa at Mama?"

Nic looked tired and annoyed. She was well-loved by the patients in the pediatric wing. The parents of the children under her care were grateful for Nic's patience and compassion for their sick kids. However, for the last few weeks, Nic was a little less friendly. Not that she didn't do her work properly nor were the kids and their families complaining but she looked tired and seemed to be annoyed by something.

---

"...you know you don't have to move out..." Mamita said over breakfast. They were waiting for Carlo to join before both boys went to the hospital for work. Rj had moved in with Carlo's family when he came back to the Philippines. His parents were left in the States.

"...nakakahiya na rin po e. Besides, the share house I got is nearer the hospital"

"...eto ngang si Kako e, he said he's also looking into moving out and finding his own place..." Mamita sighed. Carlo was pulling a chair beside her.

"Ma, it's not that far from here. Besides, sa baba lang din nung condo yung school ni Sammy."

"I can bring her there naman everyday e"

"Ma, Sammy will still get to visit you pag-weekends..."

Rj watched Mamita's and Carlo's banter with amusement. Sammy was Carlo's little girl. He and his wife Angel lived with Mamita after they got married. Sammy was Rj's god-daughter.

"Eh Dude, sigurado ka na ba talaga?" Carlo turned his attention to Rj.

"Yes. I move in in about a week or two..."

"The start of the month?" Mamita quipped.

"Opo. My lease starts on the 1st..."

"Ah..."

"When I get settled, I'll invite you to visit"

"I'm looking forward to that..." Mamita replied.

---

"Sa susunod na buwan na ang lipat ko..." Nic replied while she poked at her food.