17

A few days after Nic's visit to Rj's house, Rj was already back in the park. "O, andito ka?" Carlo asked in surprise when he saw his cousin in the bleachers. Carlo noticed Rj walking slowly to the bleachers with his crutches. "Okay na yang paa mo?"

"Nag-start na ako ng therapy. Kailangan ko na rin masanay maglakad ulit to prepare for my move to the states..."

"Oo nga pala" Carlo said. The coach blew his whistle, so Carlo left Rj in the bleachers and joined his mates.

---

"What happened to you?" Clarice exclaimed when she approached Rj and saw his crutches beside him.

"...naaksidente sya..." Brianna replied. "...nagkabanggaan sila ni Paolo..."

Clarice searched for Paolo amongst the boys running in the field. "But he's okay..."

"Ako rin" Rj said. He took his crutches and started to slowly move away.

"Where are you going? Do you need help?" Clarice asked. "Brianna, go with him"

Brianna was watching the practice game. She turned to Clarice and said, "Bakit ako?"

"Eh kasi you have a bigger body than me..."

"Ah, so sinasabi mong mataba ako?"

"Why? It's true naman e"

"Hmp! Dyan ka na nga!" Brianna said and stormed off.

"Hey! What did I say?" Clarice called out.

Rj slowly walked off shaking his head. Clarice 'forgot' about him and was now looking at the boys who were practicing – there was a new face in the group.

---

Rj passed by the window of the back room of the chapel. Once Nic saw him, she excused herself and went out the room to 'use the toilet'.

It was only 4:20pm and choir rehearsals would finish at around 5:30pm. Rj entered the boys toilet which was next to the girls' toilet.

"Time?"

"5:30"

"Camia Alley"

"Ok"

The next few days, they would always meet up at Camia Alley at a little past 5:30pm. In their hourly meet-ups, Rj would practice walking unaided while Nic cheered him on.