49

Living with someone doesn't always guarantee knowing a lot about the person. M's indifference toward suspense flicks revealed itself when J chose the movie for their weekend movie night. M thought that she'd matured and be fine with watching it but realized that she wasn't as the movie progressed. On the other hand, J never told M that he was not used to walking to and from work. He grew up being brought to and picked up from school or wherever he went. He was thin and sickly and his grandma doted on him and spoiled him while he was growing up. When he lived in the states, he took the bus or subway but his destinations were always very close. His being masungit was because he was 'just learning' to do things on his own. He was used to people serving him.

A few days into their new schedule, J developed a cold. He was sniffling while they walked to work in the morning. However, because they didn't really want to let others know about them yet, they walked separately. J also immediately took a mask from the supplies cart before entering the ward.

"Tito Doc Wichawd, why you sad?" Little Audrey asked when J approached to check on her

"Tito Doc Wichawd, why you sad?" Little Audrey asked when J approached to check on her. She just recovered from high fever. She was getting ready to be discharged that afternoon.

"Huh?"

"You look sad e...yow eyes aww pula..."

"I have a cold...just like you..." J replied.

"I no hab seeepun na..."

"Oh yeah...and I will also get better soon like you..."

"Wawa Tito Doc...lalaga kaw Ate Nic? Galing Ate Nic. Lalaga nya ko. Wla na ko sick!"

"Really?"

"Hmm..." Audrey nodded and turned to her mom who nodded and smiled.

"Kuya Doc, why you have mask like me?" Gio asked as J examined the boy with bronchitis and was also wearing a facemask. "Are you a ninja? Papa said I'm a ninja that's why I have to wear this..."

"Hmm...do you think I'm a ninja?"

"Hmm...can be..." Gio said, "posing" with a karate pose which J imitated.

M noticed that J just sat in a chair in the far corner of the room observing her as she wrapped up her circle time with the kids. He smiled at her even with his mask on but his eyes were slightly droopy but still smiling at her. He nodded when she furrowed her eyebrows at him. This was one of their unspoken dialogues and little gestures. J stood up and left the ward ahead of M as she said good bye to the kids. "See you tomorrow!"

"Bye bye Ate Nic!"

"...i-t-take care din nya si Kuya Doc?" M heard 4-year-old Isabella ask her mom.

"...kailangan din ni Tito Doc ng doctor and nurse para i-take care sya...sabi ng Mommy ko, ang mga doctor, kailangan din nila ng doctor pag may sakit sila..." 5-year-old Sophie said.