59.

"so, you want to move to texas?" marissa asked as she looked over at aubrey, her lips pursing a bit

"so, you want to move to texas?" marissa asked as she looked over at aubrey, her lips pursing a bit. "houston. i...started looking at houses with airie the other day, and i think it's time we make that leap. i just...i don't know what to do about you and jaxson. i don't want to leave you both here, leave you two behind," he spoke as he looked over at her over the table, jaxson sitting in his high chair and sipping on the water from his sippy cup. marissa sat there for a moment and exhaled softly through her nose, moving a hand to run through her hair and then up at him once more. "i wasn't...making any plans to move out of georgia any time soon, i just finished my nursing classes and just got that job at the children's clinical center," she paused to pass jaxson some of the soft snacks from her bag, looking over at him as he took a sip of his tea and sighed.

"i know. if- if you want, i can try to help you find a job out there. i can ask my mom to help set you up out there with an apartment and i'll help you find a job. i just...i don't want to stay here."

"is it because you really don't want to stay here or is it because airie wants to leave?" marissa immediately asked, knitting her eyebrows when she asked. aubrey knitted his in return as he looked at her, exhaling slowly through his nose and thinking about his next set of words before he spoke, "because i want to leave, marissa. i'm thinking of you and jaxson because i can't just up and leave without making a conscious decision about my son, i know i have an additional responsibility for him to be near me so that he can get the experience of both of his parents."

"then what are you going to do if i say no? what if i want to enjoy my life in dekalb, what if i want to stay?"

"then you can stay, and i'll stay too. i can't leave him," he answered flatly as he looked at her, pursing his lips into a thin line and bringing his arms up to cross over his chest as he looked over at her, sighing through his nose. "i'm not expecting you to pick up your entire life and move, but i have started looking at houses. i don't want him to have to sit on these long plane rides or car rides to see me, and then have to take the same long ass plane rides or car rides to go back to you. i was just offering a suggestion, there was no reason for you to even bring up airie."

"well, i wouldn't, if i knew prior to all of this going on that she told you she was insecure when it came to me, aubrey. why did you never tell me that?"

"because it wasn't relevant, marissa. why are you even bringing that up? what does that have to do with me telling you i want to move to texas?"

marissa clenched her jaw and sighed, sitting back in her chair and crossing her arms over her chest afterwards before speaking, "because you sound like you're making a decision based on what she wants to do because you're trying to make her feel better, when it comes to me and you and me and her."

"fu- marissa," aubrey spoke and closed his eyes to let out a sigh and reached up to pinch his nose bridge, sighing afterwards and taking a moment to settle his thoughts before he answered, opening his eyes and knitting his eyebrows. "that is not why the hell i brought it up and it is not why the hell i want to move out of here. if that was the reason, i would've moved and not said sh- anything. i would've moved and not said anything to you. i know how she feels about you, and i know the things she feels like she can and can't control. i was just telling you that i was thinking of it and started looking so we could come up with a 'what-if' solution, but i see that's not going to happen."