18.

"armond, what are you doing here?" airie asked, looking at her frustrated brother standing in front of her

"armond, what are you doing here?" airie asked, looking at her frustrated brother standing in front of her. "why didn't you tell me about what happened with you and hayden?" he asked as she let him in, closing the door behind him. she exhaled softly and felt herself get nervous, moving a hand to rub against the side of her neck. "this, right here, is why," she answered, leaning against the couch and armond shooting her a look.

"airie, i'm your older brother. i'm here to protect you. i know daddy was sick, so why didn't you call me? you let him knock you the fuck out and you didn't call me?" airie sighed and rubbed her face, shaking her head. "but armond, i'm alive-"

"and ya ass could have died! think, airie! if you wouldn't have moved out when you did and how you did, he would've probably hurt you worse, or even figured out where you stay. does he know where you stay?" he looked at her, all the sternness in his eyes learned from their father. it scared her how much he looked like him a little bit, and how he was scolding her exactly how their father would have.

when she didn't answer he exhaled deeply and pinched his nose bridge. "he knows where you stay, doesn't he?"

airie nodded her head silently.

"airie nicole henderson," he exhaled deeply, one of his hands on his hips. she felt her stomach do flip flops when he called her by her middle name, sounding just like their dad, sighing softly afterwards. "armond, that's why i had the bolt lock on my door and my windows are always l-"

"you shouldn't have to live like that! you should be able to live comfortably, in peace, no nigga bothering you or disturbing your peace! man fuck that, where the nigga stay? i got some words," he asked and whipped his keys from his pocket, airie's eyes widening and her hands reaching to grab his wrist. "armond, no, this ain't hunstville, you can't just roll up on somebody-"

"and why the fuck not?"

"because you might get shot and killed. i don't know where he stays, but i already lost daddy, i'm not losing you too." she frowned a little bit and he sighed again. "airie. he hurt you. i'm always strapped, don't play with me. but he hurt you. i'm supposed to protect you and make sure you're okay, and any nigga who threatens your safety, makes you feel like you can't even leave your window open, induces panic attacks -- and don't think i don't know -- i can't have them walking around here untouched. is he still bothering you?"

airie pursed her lips, soon nodding her head a little. he hid the urge to curse out loud; to armond, he felt like airie and ayla's second dad. with being the oldest, he always felt like he had to take care of them, especially when their dad got sick. he had to be the one to take them to school, make sure they ate, make sure they were financially straight, make sure they had no problems.

"armond, i don't want him to hurt you. if he hurts you, i don't know what i'm going to do."

"well, i want you to move out this apartment. if you need me to drive up from huntsville, i will, to help you move. i'm not telling mama, so don't ask me not to. but i want you out of this apartment soon. and by soon, i mean by next month."