31.

"so when do you think would be a good time to get him? i want to give you a chance to warm up to him," marissa asked as she looked over at aubrey, taking a sip from her lemonade and reaching over to softly brush a few wild curls out of their baby'...

"so when do you think would be a good time to get him? i want to give you a chance to warm up to him," marissa asked as she looked over at aubrey, taking a sip from her lemonade and reaching over to softly brush a few wild curls out of their baby's face, aubrey watching her; in his mind, she looked like a natural. she knew what she was doing when it came to their son, and he just...didn't know what to do. he was stuck when it came to his little man, unsure of how exactly he was going to parent him. how was he supposed to know why he was crying when he cried? what if he disappointed him and didn't know it? what if he hurt himself under his care?

"ah...probably this weekend, actually. i didn't have any plans, and i figured we could do weekends with me, so he can get used to me since he's still young. how about that?"

"that's good to me. how about airie?"

he tapped his watch to check the time; she'd be arriving soon, just so her and marissa could meet and get acquainted with one another, so marissa would also know who would be around her baby boy.

"she's warm to the idea. are you cool with her being there? you know-"

"aubrey, yes," marissa laughed a little bit and smiled at him, pushing a curl out of her face in itself. "from what you've told me, she seems like a sweetheart."

just as she finished, aubrey's phone rung with a picture of airie coming across the screen. he tapped to answer, bringing the phone up to his ear, "hey, you here?"

"yea, i'm coming out to the deck now," she answered, peering at the two of them through the glass as she made her way outside. she hung up the phone as she pushed the door open, smiling at the two of them and waving at marissa and aubrey. marissa stood up afterwards once airie was close enough, smiling at her and holding her hand out to her, "hey, i'm marissa."

"i'm airie," she answered and shook her hand afterwards, the both of them sharing a look before airie went to go sit next to aubrey. her eyes eventually trailed over to the baby in the high chair, airie feeling a little bit of a knot in her stomach; there was no way that that wasn't aubrey's kid. between the ears, the fact that his face resembled his mother's -- she wondered why he didn't know sooner.

"he's so handsome," airie smiled at him, soon reaching over to pat aubrey's leg and marissa smiling, "thank you. can you say thank you, jax?"

the softest 'tank yew' left his lips, the three adults at the table laughing. after getting settled, airie ordered her food, turning her attention to marissa. "i just wanted to come and introduce myself. i know it's like- and odd situation, but i want all of us to be on good terms and be easy with each other."

"oh- girl, of course. i have no doubts, i'm sure you'll be good with him. he was telling me he wanted to get him this weekend- which, i meant to ask, do you have experience with kids?"

"a bit," airie shrugged her shoulders as she took a sip from her water, watching aubrey pick jax out of his chair to hold him in his lap, letting him settle in his lap while marissa and airie spoke. "i have a niece and a nephew, but i don't get to see them often because my family lives back in huntsville, but when i do see them it's pretty easy for me to take care of them. i just worried a little since aubrey is..."