39.

"don't do that," aubrey blinked as he looked down at marissa, his eyes wider than two dinner plates

"don't do that," aubrey blinked as he looked down at marissa, his eyes wider than two dinner plates. to say he knew this would happen is an understatement; as they developed their relationship as parents, he had some kind of inkling that marissa would assume it was a spark -- and that she did. currently, he was over her place to drop jaxson off, and she'd lurched forward and kissed him after they spoke. 

"why not?" she asked as she looked at him, stepping closer, only for him to step back. "because you and i aren't together, i have a girlfriend, you know that, marissa," he exhaled softly and rubbed his face as she stood in front of him, obviously brooding. "i just wanted to co-parent with you, you know that. we agreed for it to be just th-"

"why can't we just be a family? why is that so hard?"

"because we can't," he answered quickly, sighing afterwards and rounding his keys from his pocket as he looked at her, annoyance all across his face and in his tone. "what made you think that i wanted that?"

"because you haven't knocked airie up yet," marissa answered, giving him a matter of fact look.

"marissa, don't start," he held up a hand and sighed. "we both had a lapse in judgement, and that's why we have jaxson, now. don't sit here and start that weird baby-momma bullshit."

"weird baby-momma bullshit? i'm just asking for you and i to complete our family, why is that so hard?"

"i can't do that," he shook his head and moved back to open the door, speaking afterwards, "i'll see you friday at 5." he started making his way out, marissa calling for him afterwards. he exhaled as he stopped, turning around on his heels and pursing his lips. "what, marissa?"

"i don't want him growing up in a broken home, that's what."

"it's not broken," he sighed and tilted his head, being choosy of his words. "it never was broken. i didn't know you were pregnant, you didn't know i was his dad-"

"actually, aubrey," marissa started, holding her hand over jaxson's head. "i...i knew. i knew you were his dad. the time i got pregnant," she stopped to set jaxson in his swing as he slept, aubrey's expression eventually twisting into something of shock and confusion. "the time i got pregnant, the guy i was also messing with, i didn't start messing with him until a few weeks after i was pregnant. the lineup didn't make sense, but i was trying to rationalize it. i was mad at you, anyway, so i was hoping, you know, i hadn't misjudged."

aubrey clenched his jaw and exhaled slowly to gather his thoughts, holding a hand up for her to stop talking for the moment. "so, you knew i was his dad, you kept him from me for almost a year, you had me go through emotional turmoil, you almost broke airie and i up, when you could have just told me i was his father?" his voice was low and monotone, having to fight the urge to start yelling so he wouldn't wake jaxson up, in addition to not wanting to deepen the current rift that was forming between the two of them.