ᴛᴇɴ.

airie stared at the casket in front of her, her dad's body lying peacefully with a bouqet of lavender in his folded hands

airie stared at the casket in front of her, her dad's body lying peacefully with a bouqet of lavender in his folded hands. she was completely dazed out, but somehow had come to be at peace. her last conversation with her dad was what soothed her soul, and while it didn't completely soothe her grief, it put her and his spirit to rest.

--

"puddin," her dad started as she sat next to him, holding onto his hand and looking at him. "yes, daddy?"

he turned his head to look at her, weakly squeezing her hand. "mama came to visit me," he started, taking in a breath and her hands squeezing his gently as tears filled her eyes. "and what'd she say?"

he gave a smile up at the ceiling, obvious that he was slowly making his way into the next realm. "she said you talked to god, baby. she told me you let it go, you trusted god, baby," airie gazed at her dad, sniffling softly and laying her head next to his arm. "i did, daddy. i let it go. i talked to god. i couldn't hold onto it. i had to let it go. i had to make it right within me and before you left me."

"puddin, i ain't going anywhere. imma always be with you. don't worry about daddy," he exhaled softly and gave her hand another squeeze. "you better go on and let go of that other spirit clinging to you, baby girl."

"the other spirit?" she asked, rubbing the back of her dad's hand and at the golden band surrounding his ring finger, signifying his mother and father's union for the last 32 years. "that other spirit. that other hurtin' one. mama said you ain't let that one go yet. let it go, baby. i'll help you when i make it to the other side."

"daddy, don't say that."

"you'll never be without me," he paused to inhale, his eyes closing. "just like my mama never left me. i love you, puddin."

"i love you too, daddy. always."

--

she exhaled softly and squeezed ayla and her mother's hand, armond on the other side of her holding onto her hand. her eyes turned to look at her mother, kissing her temple and her mother laying her head on armond's shoulder as the pastor read his message for the funeral. the church was filled with all their family, from those they hadn't spoken to in years, to those they talked to just a day prior.

"arthur was a man of hope, he was a man of family, he was a man of god. no matter how much you miss him, no matter how much you are hurting, know that he lived his life to the fullest. when god takes their physical body, know that their spiritual body is still with you, and they will be there to guide you to the next plane. arthur was my best friend in high school, and to this day, there are things i could never repay him for," he stopped to use his handkerchief to wipe his face, holding onto the bible and exhaling away. "miss shonda, i know your pain. arthur was the man that everybody called, and now that god has called him, know that while he may not be here physically, he will forever be with you and you all's babies."