26.

aubrey sighed as he pulled up to the house, feeling his heart in his throat

aubrey sighed as he pulled up to the house, feeling his heart in his throat. he came to meet his potential child's mother so they could get the dna test done. the other guy had already had his done, so it was a matter of waiting for the two results to come back to determine what they'd be doing next and where life would be headed next. he said a silent prayer as he got out the car and went up to the door, knocking gently and waiting for a moment.

"hey marissa," aubrey spoke when she answered the door, marissa exhaling softly and waving. "hey. come in," she motioned for him to come in, aubrey stepping inside the house and looking around for a moment before looking down at her. "so, how far is it?" he asked, tucking his hands in his pockets as she grabbed her jacket off of the jacket stand, grabbing her house keys before answering. "maybe 10 minutes from here. i'll go grab him," she headed upstairs and he nodded, exhaling softly. to say his nerves were shot was an understatement; what if he just knew? what if when he saw the baby, he knew that it was his?

he inhaled softly when she came downstairs, getting a look at the small, curly headed baby in her arms. he...couldn't tell. genuinely, he couldn't tell if the child was his or not; he looked like marissa. from his eyes, to his nose, the only thing that put a little bit of terror in his heart was that they had similar ears. and in his mother's words -- the ears never lied.

"hey little man," aubrey smiled a bit, the baby staring at him with wide, brown eyes, much like his mother's eyes, marissa smiling a little and grabbing one of his little hands to feign a wave. the both of them shared a laugh before she looked at him, "you can just follow me there so i don't have to move his car seat in between cars."

"that's cool," he answered and opened the door for her to head out to her car and him to his. the drive to the clinic was damn near panic inducing; he honestly didn't know how to move forward if the baby was his. how was he supposed to baby proof his house? baby proof his car? how was he supposed to make his way into dad mode? he had just started enjoying his 30s, and though he wanted to settle down eventually, he didn't know how he would do everything he planned with a baby included. he didn't know how he'd even tell airie -- because this whole time, he was trying to find the words to say to her. he still didn't know what to say when he called her, texted her, maybe even sent a damn email.

he didn't know how to...fix things. but he understood that she needed her space, to take it all in. whether they knew or not that the baby was his, it was more than enough to take into consideration that the baby might actually be his; and in his mind, that was more of a possibility considering the longer he looked at him, he started to look more familiar to what aubrey saw in the mirror. it scared him. he didn't think that he'd be noticing it, or maybe he was just making thing up in his head and scaring himself.

he snapped from his thoughts as they got to the clinic, getting out of his car and waiting for her to get him out of the carseat. as they walked into the clinic, he felt his heart start rising in his throat. he'd never been in a situation like this; he, for the most part, actively wrapped it up, but it just had to be the one time he slipped up that he was potentially in a situation like this. he didn't know at this point how many times he had slipped up with airie, and that was another piece of anxiety for him -- he knew he had to talk to her about that, figure out if she was on birth control of some kind, if she kept some plan b's hidden, or if she was just going by the grace of god.