25.

aubrey paced back and forth in the room as airie showered

aubrey paced back and forth in the room as airie showered. while she was in the shower, he'd gotten a string of messages from a girl he used to mess with, who explicitly claimed she was pregnant with his child. it followed him in the back of his mind, but it was something he never wanted to pay too much attention to. so, he didn't. it was always a rumor that he had a baby in dekalb; he never paid it too much attention because he was over it, and it wasn't something he was hellbent on making apart of his life yet. he knew that that baby wasn't his. in true maury fashion, he told her that the kid wasn't his, and when asked why he thought that, he said because he just knew.

not only just that, but he knew his mother would quite literally kill him if he brought a baby home before she knew who the baby's mother was, prior to them becoming the mother of her sons first child. so, she told him to ignore the rumors, and continue to do him — but to wrap it up. admittedly, he had slipped a few times, including with airie, but it was something they hadn't even talked about yet.

when she emerged from the bathroom with a towel around her body, she raised her eyebrows at him and blinked a few times, moving to rest a hand on his arm. "aubrey, you good?" he jumped, making her jump, the two of them sharing questionable faces. he sighed softly and rubbed a hand over his face, shaking his head afterwards. "no, not really." he exhaled deeply and she blinked, pulling her towel over her chest and tying it a little bit tighter, guiding him to the bed to sit down. "what happened?"

he felt damn near sick to his stomach to have to bring it up to her. it was something he never thought that he'd have to face head on again, let alone the idea that the kid could actually be his. he didn't want to face it -- it was a responsibility he wasn't ready for yet, even at 33, and he knew that. in his mind, he couldn't be someone's father. not even a small child, not even a dog or a cat, or even a damn hamster.

"just listen. you can be angry, you can leave, but just listen," he started, his palms starting to feel clammy and a deep sigh leaving his lips. airie blinked, quite literally concerned and not even knowing exactly what he was going to say, but she knew that she was concerned.

"there's this girl that i met maybe like a year ago. shit happened, we were together, broke up, messed around a little while she was messing with someone else, and the next thing i knew, she popped up pregnant. she said it was mine, but something about the timeline wasn't one-hundred percent adding up to me, so i immediately told her that it wasn't mine and to go on about her life and good luck," he paused to inhale softly, moving a hand to rub along his neck as he continued; he really couldn't even find himself able to look at her when he spoke. "she messaged me just now. back to back, while you were in the shower. she wanted me to take a dna test because she was tired of not knowing who her kid's father was."

"she said she already asked the other guy she was messing with at the time to take a dna test to figure out who the kid's dad is. i asked her what she wanted to do, and she said if i wanted to come see the kid -- if it's mine -- then i could, but she just wanted me to know if i had a child or not."