42.

"see? it's negative

"see? it's negative. i told you i wasn't pregnant," airie spoke as she looked over at aubrey, pursing her lips. "just because everyone around us is talking about babies and having babies doesn't mean we're next up. relax." she waved the test near his face and he sighed, leaning against the counter and crossing his arm over his chest, "i know that, but it's just something that was burning in the back of my head. we're at that age, airie."

"we're at that age, but you and i both decided not to actively try, whether on purpose or accidentally, to give jaxson a sibling, or have a child in general. i'm still on birth control, there isn't going to be a little you and me running around here anytime soon; unless one of both of us changes our minds," she sighed and stood with her hands on her hips as she looked at him, soon squinting when a thought entered her head; maybe he...wanted another kid. maybe he had been thinking of it more than she thought and more than they could talk about; he had always mentioned kids to her, but never this much, so soon. "do you...want to have a kid?" she asked, her voice soft and her head tilting to the left.

"wh- no, no," he shook his head and sighed afterwards, "i want us to at least have a place together, a ring on your finger, something, before we start even thinking about it. i don't want you to feel like i'm trying to trap you."

a ring on her finger? he was thinking that far ahead? granted, some couples did date for just a few short months before getting engaged, but was that really in the cards for them? they weren't even living together yet, but they were both...adults. grown adults with careers (for the most part).

"now why would i feel like that...?"

"man, i don't know," he sighed and closed his eyes to inhale and exhale deeply, opening his eyes shortly after to look at her while pursing his lips a bit. "i do want to have a family with you eventually, but we have shit we have to do and figure out before we can add a small person to that equation."

"shit to do? like what?"

"i don't know, figure out how much longer both these leases are, if we're staying in atlanta, getting your line off the ground, all that. we have all of that to figure out, mama," he answered and walked over to her, cupping her cheeks in his hands and leaning down to kiss over her forehead. "once we figure that out, then all is well."

she exhaled as he kissed her forehead, closing her eyes. he was right; granted, they had more stuff to figure out other than that, but it was something that would probably stay on her mind or a few days, maybe a few weeks. they moved at a speed that was comfortable for them, and while it was nice to take things slow, in airie's mind, maybe he felt like he still had a family to eventually fall back on -- something that he didn't explicitly have with her. she shifted to wrap her arms around his middle as he moved his hands down around her shoulders, pressing another kiss to her head, speaking once she felt him squeeze her, "we'll figure it out soon enough."

--

"i spoke to my mom," aubrey mumbled as he let jaxson fall asleep on his chest while he passed marissa a notebook with a few more places in the book for them to look at as far as it concerned jaxson's birthday. marissa blinked and looked over at him, raising her eyebrows; she didn't think that he would really talk about his mom when it came to the two of them, but obviously their argument the last time they'd met was something that needed to be addressed. "about...?"