27.

amari, bria, and valerie stared at airie as she opened the mail from the courthouse

amari, bria, and valerie stared at airie as she opened the mail from the courthouse. she could hear her heart in her ears; it contained the restraining order results, and she prayed every day leading up to now that it came back that it was granted and that he couldn't be within 500-feet of her, he couldn't contact her. she could move on with her life and he could leave her the hell alone.

she looked over the first paragraph, skimmed over the second when she felt tears starting to prick her waterline, inhaling shakily once she got to the last line and speaking just loud enough for them to hear, "t-the fulton county court finds the temporary restraining order is hereby granted." she didn't even read the rest, bursting into tears as the three of them got up to hug her, celebrating by dancing and cheering on, even crying themselves. airie felt the entire world lift off of her shoulders; she didn't have to be fearful anymore. she didn't have to hide anymore. she didn't have to feel like she wasn't living her life to the fullest of its extent.

she could be free now.

she cried and cried, her friends holding her to comfort the wave of emotions she was feeling. it wasn't every day that a restraining order got approved, but digging through scarce medical records, her friend's accounts, even aubrey and her neighbor's accounts of his threats to her, were enough to get it approved, and enough to give her a peace of mind now.

she broke free from her friends to call armond, trying to pull herself together just enough so she could speak. "hey puddin, what's up?"

"shuggy, they granted my restraining order," she answered, sniffing softly as she wiped her eyes. armond was silent for a moment before he yelled out, making her jump and laugh. "you dead the fuck serious?"

"yes! i just opened the mail, it got granted!"

"shittin' me! i'm about to go smoke- so it's what, 500 feet? no contact?"

"yea, yea. he should've gotten the letter today about it, so i wouldn't be surprised if he's pissed. i'm home with val, mari, and bri, so i'm feeling good."

"that's what the fuck i'm talking about," she could tell he was smiling on his end, chatting for a little bit longer before the two of them hung up and airie returned to her friends. "so what now?" amari asked as airie laid her head on her shoulder, airie shrugging her shoulders. "i guess i just...move forward, like i've been wanting to. he doesn't know where i stay, he can't come near me, no more random flowers or any stupid shit like that. i just get to...be."

"girl, you should treat yourself," bria wiggled her fingers and smiled, airie laughing afterwards, "the most i'm going to treat myself is signing with one of those distributors. what else would i do? my car is great, house is great, my job is great, my friends are great, i'm good. i'm happy."

"what about you and homeboy?" amari asked as she adjusted the blanket over her lap. airie tensed for a moment before sighing; she figured it would be best to not bring up what was going on at the moment, since her and aubrey had yet to talk, to figure out what was going on between them and what their next steps were. it had been something like three days since they last talked, and she felt like a trainwreck every night she went to bed without checking in on him -- she was sure he was going through it as much as she was, considering his life was genuinely going to change.