16.

'forever mine' by the o'jays started playing over the speakers sitting on top of her tv stand, airie's laughter coming from the kitchen

'forever mine' by the o'jays started playing over the speakers sitting on top of her tv stand, airie's laughter coming from the kitchen. "i know your old ass does not have this song on here," she sucked her teeth, aubrey feigning hurt and resting a hand on his chest. "what?! you don't like this song?" he asked nudging her side gently so he wouldn't get flour on her. "it's not that i don't like it," she started as she flipped the pizza dough onto the tray, looking up at him with a soft smile. "makes me think of my parents. my daddy used to sing this song to my mama, and even though he sounded nothin' like the o'jays, she loved him enough to let him sing to her like a hit, hollering dog," she snorted softly and he smiled at her, leaning down to kiss her cheek.

he liked how she lit up when she talked about her parents; even if he couldn't relate fully, it was heartwarming to him to see how happy she was when she talked about them. he noticed she got a light in her eyes when she talked about things that meant the most to her, like her parents, starting up her fashion line, her friends. he wasn't expecting her to light up like that when she talked about him, but if she did, even just the thought of it made him smile to himself. she was slowly, but surely, showing him the more emotionally intimate parts of her; it was something he allowed her to do on her own, not at all pushing her to do it, or feel like she absolutely had to open up to him.

"here, put the sauce on while i get the chicken," she nudged the pizza sauce jar over to him as she washed her flour covered hands off, as she grabbed the chicken breasts she'd cooked earlier, taking it out the bowl to chop up, humming softly to the song, swaying a little bit. aubrey peeked over at her as he ladled the sauce over the pizza, thinking she looked quite...cute. yes, she was a grown ass woman, but she looked cute, humming like that, her hair pulled down into a braided ponytail, wearing a t-shirt dress, and a pair of slouch socks. her face was bare, giving him a chance to take in just how smooth and bright her skin was; she had a few beauty marks here and there, on her cheek or on her neck. he exhaled softly and sprinkled the cheese overtop of the sauce, stepping to the side to let her put the chicken on the pizza while he washed his hands.

"pepperoni next?" he asked and she nodded, soon perking up when the speakers began playing 'what you won't do for love'. "oh my gooood, i love this song," she spoke, soon dancing with a sway, singing out loud, "i guess you wonder where i've been, a search to find a loooove within," she spun around, aubrey peeking at her as he put the first pizza in the oven, laughing out. "i can see that," he cleaned up the first set of ingredients, grabbing the pepperoni slices from the fridge. before he could start on the next pizza, she had grabbed his hand to pull him with her to dance.

"we slow dancing or something?"

"yes! now dance with me, fool! yo' ass couldn't dance the first night we met, i'm gonna put some rhythm in you," she laughed softly as she started doing a little two step, his feet following hers as she sung, not necessarily to him, to the song. she had the auntie two step down completely, the both of them laughing at and with one another, enjoying the sweet sound of music, the smell of pizza, and one another for the moment. in between movements, he'd spin her around, the two of them laughing.