46.

airie hummed as she headed into the mall, fixing her bag over her shoulder

airie hummed as she headed into the mall, fixing her bag over her shoulder. the last two months or so of being by herself again, had equated in her line taking off, in part by promotions and in another part by a random viral post, a new position at her job, and working with landon a little bit more than just at the office -- they'd started seeing each other on the weekends or when they could. airie wasn't 100% into him, but it was fun getting to know someone else, playing around, seeing here and there. she felt...not 100% peaceful, but it was another thing she knew she'd have to deal with in life; heartbreak. no one was exempt from it, and that was okay; she knew that being with someone, there was always the chance of being heartbroken.

she made a few rounds, stopping at the pandora store to grab bracelets for amari and little amari for the baby shower; by the sneaker store to grab some new running shoes; and lastly going by the baby store to get some clothes for her incoming niece or nephew. it felt comforting to go somewhere by herself, to spend time with herself; she got a chance to be alone with herself, not that she really wanted to, but it gave her a chance to heal the way she felt she needed to.

as she grabbed a pack of onesies, she heard a laugh; a laugh that sounded so familiar -- jaxson's laugh. she blinked and looked up, finding marissa and aubrey walking into the store, aubrey holding jaxson and probably tickling him to make him laugh. the pit feeling in her stomach came full force, sinking her mood, draining the color from her face. she thought she was ready to see him, to see marissa, to see jaxson again -- she thought the two months that had passed had prepared her to see them again. she didn't think that love could still hurt this bad, but boy, was she wrong.

she immediately turned around, hoping the bushel of curls on her head would hide her from the two of them. she felt her chest get a little tight, the knot in her throat grow, she felt her hands get a little clammy as she held the onesies, soon flicking them into the arm basket that she had, choosing to head to the opposite side of the store so that their interactions would be limited. so, so limited.

just as she turned, they were in her general vicinity, and aubrey noted that it was her -- in fact, he was almost sure it was her when they first walked into the store, because of her outline from behind; that was something he would genuinely never forget, joking or not. he waved a hand with a faint smile, marissa giving a smile and waving. airie just looked for a moment, the gears in her head slowing to process the moment; she could be a dick head, or she could be nice.

she chose to be nice.

she waved her fingers, though, without a smile before turning around without a word and making her way to the opposite side of the store like she intended. aubrey exhaled softly through his nose and looked down at jaxson instead, who had laid his head on his shoulder and sucking on his thumb, then over at marissa who looked up at him also. "does she...?"

"yea, she knows about what happened," he answered and sighed afterwards, pursing his lips as he looked over at her and watched her settle into another spot -- with her back towards them -- in the store, looking at the baby clothes. marissa stopped and looked up at him, knitting her eyebrows, "have you two had a chance to talk about things...?"