60.

"mama?" aubrey called as he headed into his mom's house, the smell of food cooking swirling through his nostrils

"mama?" aubrey called as he headed into his mom's house, the smell of food cooking swirling through his nostrils. he exhaled slowly, closing the front door behind him and heading through the foyer and hallway and to the kitchen, poking his head around the corner where his mom was cooking. "ma," he called again, his mom jumping and turning around with a hand over her chest, laughing it off afterwards. "nice of my ghost of a son to show up and scare the daylights out of me," she smiled at him afterwards; he pursed his lips for a moment before smiling in return. she didn't say much, just opened her arms and looked up at him, aubrey soon making his way over and wrapping his arms around her in a hug.

this was the first time in months that they'd seen or heard from each other, especially since the incident with jalissa. he didn't know how to feel, he didn't know how he was going to go about things, but he knew that he missed him mom. he knew that he missed being around her, talking to her every day, hearing her nag at him, or seeing her on facetime when he talked to his little man. he sighed as he hugged her, her hand rubbing against his back and she hummed out in content. while he wished that the conversation they had had gone differently, he could only deal with what they had now and hope to move forward from it from this point on; he knew that things had to change going forward, too. he wasn't exactly sure how anymore, but he knew that he wanted to find a way that worked between the two of them to change it, and it definitely included her staying out of his personal life unless he brought it up.

"i missed you, mama," he spoke quietly, his mom stepping back and patting her son's cheeks with a smile. "i was waiting on you to calm down to come talk to me. come," she motioned for him to follower her into the kitchen, sitting at the table with him and pursing her lips lightly. he sat down carefully, leaning against his arms as he looked up at her and tilted his head to the side. "i didn't know what to say to you. airie told me to come talk to you today, and she just tild me to just...say what was on my mind."

"and what's on your mind?" she asked, reaching over to cup his hands in hers.

"that," he paused to gather his thoughts, his lips pressing into a thin line before he blew out a slow sigh and closed his eyes. "i love you, i love you with my whole heart and then some, but that my personal life has to be just that -- mine. that you don't need to interject all the time, i'm a grown man and can handle myself and everything that comes with me doing the things i do. i want you to be able to trust me as your son and let me go do the things i want to do."

she looked over at him as he spoke, nodding her head slowly and squeezing his hands in between hers before smiling softly afterwards. "that's all i needed to hear. when you're angry and yelling, it doesn't solve anything; you know you can always come talk to me about anything, and if you need me to interject or jump in and solve something, then i'll do it on your call. i just want to protect you."

"i know," he answered and opened his eyes to look at her. "i know, you want to protect me -- it's always been me and you. but i want you to know that i can handle a lot of the things life throws at me...and that you don't have to step in. i'm okay mama, i swear," he answered as he looked over at her, smiling afterwards as he spoke.