57.

"hi, yes, table for two

"hi, yes, table for two. i'm waiting on the other party to arrive," airie spoke as she headed to the front counter, soon following the hostess to their table inside the honeybee-themed restaurant. she sat down with a low sigh, thanking the waitress and sitting in the chair, looking through the menu; her nerves were so bad, that none of the food sounded all that appetizing to her. she moved a hand to rub across her forehead and them over her ponytail, tilting her head to one side and rubbing her neck. this, honestly, felt like a mistake -- she was now extremely unsure that she was ready to see marissa again, and alone at that. she wished she would've told aubrey about it so he could be there for her in a time where she felt like she needed him more than anything -- but, she had to put her big girl pants on and make it through the meeting.

she stared at the menu absentmindedly, occasionally letting out a soft sigh; what the hell was she even doing? was this really the most necessary thing to do? it partially scared her, because she didn't know what marissa was thinking or what she was going to say, let alone she didn't even know what she, herself, was going to say.

she thanked the waitress for the water and just ordered a salad, since her appetite for anything else was virtually absent. just as she passed her menu to the waitress, marissa came in, pushing her shades up her head and looking around the restaurant until she saw airie. airie sighed inwardly and waved at her with a faint smile as she made her way over to the table, "hey, sorry i'm late, i got stuck in traffic."

"it's no problem," airie shook her head and smiled at her, shifting to try to make herself comfortable in the chair for the impending conversation, "i figured it would be pretty bad, the weather's warming up and everyone's getting out of their houses."

"tell me about it," marissa spoke and laughed, airie giving her another faint smile and letting out a soft chuckle afterwards. there was a silence that covered the two of them as airie leaned to take a sip of her water, before finally speak to ease the silence at the table. "so, i just wanted you to know that i don't...well, i'm not holding a grudge over you two, anymore. i don't know what it's like to have a family that you want to get back together, but i can understand what happened."

"well," marissa started, taking the water from the waitress once she came back and turning her attention back to airie. "i...wasn't thinking when it happened. i just assumed, you know, because of what him and i went through, that because he hadn't gotten you pregnant as i did, that maybe you two weren't that serious, and that maybe there might have been some...residual feelings," she waved her hands a bit, airie blinking some and sitting up in her chair, letting marissa continue. "i didn't think that you two were serious because of my own personal feelings, but knowing that both of you were serious about each other made me feel like an idiot after it all happened. neither one of us were thinking of the consequences in the moment, and i really apologize for causing any kind of pain that i inflicted on you from my own selfish nature."

airie sat there for a moment, pursing her lips as she thought of the next set of words that would leave her lips. she exhaled slowly through her nose and then looked up at her from her water, "i was...hurt. i still am. even if it was just a kiss or two, i trusted both you and him to offer me some kind of decency that you wouldn't do something like that. i know, you wanted to mend that family with him, but...with me there, it still doesn't make sense to me."