53.

there was a silence that covered the two of them as they laid in the familiar, plush bed; almost like the first time they'd slept with each other, after the club

there was a silence that covered the two of them as they laid in the familiar, plush bed; almost like the first time they'd slept with each other, after the club. there was an indiscernible aura that covered the two of them, whether it was from the intensity of what had happened downstairs or from the meeting after a few weeks, or even a combination of both; but they weren't speaking to each other at the moment. airie's back was faced towards him, her hand rubbing on the pillow that was under her head, while he laid on his back with his hands behind his head, looking up at the ceiling. the clock edged into 3 am, and even though she knew he would tell her to stay, airie figured her best option was to grab her stuff and go home.

so, she sat up and held the blanket over her naked chest, peering over at him and speaking quietly, "i'm gonna go home." the two of them sat there in silence again, up until airie began to get out of the bed; to which he ever so faintly grabbed her arm to get her attention. she stopped and looked back at him again, a sigh leaving his body as he sat up and spoke, "let's talk, please." he answered and adjusted himself under the blanket, airie turning to him and shaking her head. "what is there to talk about? you don't get to dictate...this. i mean, you're...doing what you're doing with marissa and being a family, i'm not the one to get in the way of that," she started, moving her hand to touch on his, looking down at their hands and mumbling. "we keep doing this back and forth thing, trying to make it work and it-"

"stop," he started, holding up his other hand to stop her where she was, sighing and moving his hand to grab onto hers, speaking afterwards. "i'm not doing this back and forth with you anymore, and you're not leaving until we get to the root and figure out what the fuck we're doing. marissa and i agreed to just coparent, i knew we weren't fit to be in a relationship before the kiss even happened, whether jaxson was in the picture or not. i know, i fucked up, i can admit that i fucked up and i've done so many things to hurt you, and for that, i apologize ten, a thousand, a million times over. but airie," he paused to get closer to her, tilting his head so he could look at her, since she was looking down at the blanket instead of up at him. her eyes closed for a moment before opening to look into his eyes again, aubrey continuing. "i want to settle down with you. i want to do the whole, family-unit with you. i'm too invested and in love with you and too old to keep doing this stupid shit, sabotaging my relationships because i don't think first."

airie blinked a few times, the gears in her head slowing as she tried to process what to say. in her mind, those were all the things she wanted to hear, all the things she needed to hear; but she had so many questions, so many unanswered questions, that she couldn't take his words in full without an answer.

"then why did you kiss her?" her voice was soft, it shook a little bit when she asked, her hand gripping onto the blanket again. she felt a knot in her throat, her chest tightened some when she brought it up. it was still painful; even stevie wonder could see that. part of her even wondered why she was in his bed, why she had sex with him again, why she responded to his text messages; he knew about her insecurity when it came to marissa, even if they'd talked about it and talked it over, he knew about how she felt knowing that marissa would always have an upper hand on her. he knew that. that's why the kisses, seeing them out in public together being a 'family', that's why it burned.